What I want: 15-inch iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pinsrw, Oct 4, 2010.

1. pinsrw macrumors regular

Hi all,

As a former Newton owner, I feel the iPad is what I had wished the Newton to be but wasn't. And yet the iPad is much better. Clearly the iPad designers understood what everyone except the Newton programmers did, that fast native apps (not interpreted), a color screen, and a real OS are essential.

But now that I've been using the iPad for about a week, I'm already anxious for something bigger. If anyone at Apple is reading this, what I would really like is this:

An iPad that has a 15 inch LCD display so I can look at a full web page without enlarging. Even a 13 incher would be a relief.

Of course, numerous doodad improvements also come to mind that would be "nice to have":
    - an eInk display on the back
    - a rotating camera
    - USB for camera with PTP support
    - voice control e.g. "iPad: next page"
    But I digress.

My 2 cents...

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

While that would be cool, I think it would be too much of a niche market (more so than the iPad already is). It would be a little big and awkward to carry around, possibly on the heavy side too. Although, that would be nice if they made a decently sized OS X-based tablet, which I think would be suited well to a larger size (13 or 15")

3. MichaelJunge macrumors newbie

4. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

An alternative would be to expand the existing iPad's screen to 11 inches, which the current aluminum housing could handle. This would require getting rid of the button however.

I think read that Apple plans to bring some iOS user interface features to the Macs. Maybe a future convergence of iOS and OS/X is in the works?

5. johnniewalker macrumors member

I was just thinking the other day that the black 'bezel' around the screen is a waste of what could be valuable screen space.

Instead of the home button, why not just use a gesture such as a 3 finger tap to display a dock to exit/switch apps etc, and maybe another gesture to activate/deactivate a 'dead' zone around the edge of the screen to prevent unwanted inputs on the touch screen yet still provide a greater viewing area.

6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

7. ninjax00 macrumors newbie

I could see a 12inch screen happening, but not any larger than that as of right now.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the biggest problem with that is you need some sort of physical button to be able to reset it when there are problems.

9. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

WTF? FTW? LMAO FWIW TTYS.

I was thinking the same thing just before I sold my MBP13 and upgraded to the MBP15. The 13 has enough space for a 14.5" display,.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

But you have to realize that every display has a bezel, so there is space for cabling, backlighting, etc.

11. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Also remember the bezel provides a space for you to place your thumbs when you're holding it, without activating anything accidentally on screen.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Get macbook air.

13. trssho macrumors 6502

That is kind of cool. Imagine the battery that thing would have/ need. Truly play board games on that!

How big is that screen supposed to be in those pics? Looks like 17-20" Transport may be an issue.

Photoshop type apps would be functional on a screen this size.

14. Alphaforcex macrumors member

I thought 12" would be the absolute max that I would carry around but that doesn't look too bad at all.

15. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The Joo Joo was the only tablet that's really shipped in a form factor near that size, and it was pretty roundly panned as too big and heavy (and, well, for a lot of other reasons too).

16. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

How about 27" instead?

I'd love to have a hybrid iMac/iPad like the threads on those touchscreen iMac patents. I know it wouldn't be portable, but I'd love to be able to use some iPad apps on a bigger screen.

The user interface on the iPad is a big step forward.

17. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I would like a bigger one too, in widescreen format.

18. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

19. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Anything over 13 inches would be too big to carry around.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I just wished the current one had the indent hole so I could lock it up.

21. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

You're kidding right?

And in regards to the pic with the Japanese dude and the huuggeee ipad...that thing looks ridiculous. How much does it weigh, 15 pounds? You would need a wrist brace just to hold it up.

22. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg