Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello. This post is an opinion post for what I want nothing more.

Hopeful 13" specs

Most likley happening/happening:

Quad core processors
Intel HD 4000 (gonna happen)
USB 3

Hoping for:

Redesign - this isn't a huge one for me but I may as well say (everyone else does)
Mid range mobile discrete graphics card (this is what I want most)
Remove the SuperDrive (make room for graphics card)
SSD storage standard at least 128gb
Full HD screen
Longer battery if room
Better heat
I want Ethernet, SD Card slot, FireWire removed (yeah I know it's not happening)
Upgrades a maximum of 10% more than retail price!
NZ (where I live) prices brought down to equivalent US prices or maybe like $100 more compared to like $500 (NZD). Apple has equivalent prices with some macs and all iPods, hoping mbp too. Note: apple usually does equal it when they refresh the products

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's still an improvment over USB 2. Until thunderbolt is cheap and industry standard I'll stick with USB. Although I would prefer using thunderbolt

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hope you don't et your wish about pulling the SD, FW, and Ethernet. I use all of them everyday! ;)

Pulling the ethernet makes no sense, FW could be on its way out but not before the optical drive.

----------

It's still an improvment over USB 2. Until thunderbolt is cheap and industry standard I'll stick with USB. Although I would prefer using thunderbolt
It is an improvement but that does not mean apple is going to embrace it, so far the've not and I suspect that resistance will continue

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Pulling the ethernet makes no sense, FW could be on its way out but not before the optical drive.

----------

It is an improvement but that does not mean apple is going to embrace it, so far the've not and I suspect that resistance will continue

I want to use TB too with the ability to daisy chain different devices..but until there is more available I like FW so I can daisy chain storage at least..

FW will be gone soon I'd guess

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I want to use TB too with the ability to daisy chain different devices..but until there is more available I like FW so I can daisy chain storage at least..

FW will be gone soon I'd guess
Yeah I do agree with this, wouldn't it be cool if we could charge up say... 5 iOs devices on a single MBP? I'm not sure if you could do this with daisy chaining but I'm not too sure.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand

USB 3 is part of ivy bridge. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would be more work for apple to keep it out than in? Also removing those ports is just down to what I use. If I had the choice to have them removed from the next MacBook pro I'd probably decline. Id have thousands outraged (at me!)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Yeah I do agree with this, wouldn't it be cool if we could charge up say... 5 iOs devices on a single MBP? I'm not sure if you could do this with daisy chaining but I'm not too sure.

I meant displays and storage mix but yes the ability to charge my phone along with would be nice..I'm just not a big fan of usb other than for small devices it just take too much processor when there are better alternatives out there.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Firewire and USB 2 have co-existed quite happily for a long time. The main reason for Apple not including USB 3 has been the fact that it's not integrated into the Intel chipset and hence requires a third party chip on the motherboard. Apple have stayed away from this in general. Ivy Bridge chipset will support USB 3.0 natively so I see no reason for not having USB 3 ports. Thunderbolt is great but USB 3 is also great.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand

@theseb Just what I was saying!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I thought it was a given the next year would be USB 3..so there was no real need to talk about it

Just don't take away my FW :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.