Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
I am buying one of two iBook G4s from a friend, and my main requirement is that it runs Basilisk II and emulates System 7, Mac OS 8, and Mac OS 9. (for the Monty Python Video Games and others) and runs Leopard smoothly. Here are their specs:
  1. iBook G4 Late 2003
  • 1 GHz PPC G4
  • 14" Display
  • Radeon 9200 32 MB, AGP 4x
  • 40 GB HDD
  • 384 MB RAM
2. iBook G4 Mid 2005​
  • 1.42 GHz PPC G4
  • 14" Display
  • Radeon 9550 32 MB, AGP 4x
  • 60 GB HDD
  • 1 GB RAM
The batteries on both work for 30 minutes. The 2005 is in much better cosmetic condition than the 2003. I would probably upgrade either one to the max RAM because I have lots of old DDR SODIMMS laying around. Do I need the Mid '05 to run Leopard and other applications comfortably, or will the Late '03 run it well. I have limited experience with PPC macs. I am leaning towards the '05 because of the more powerful graphics which support Core Image. No charger is included. Which one should I buy, and what are fair prices for each?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "Apple" method to use Mac OS 9 (Classic) is the Classic environment, which is NOT supported after Tiger.
(I suppose you already know that...)
With that in mind - either of those iBook G4s will run Tiger or Leopard.
Leopard will be "adequate", somewhat better on the newer iBook, but yes, max out the RAM, particularly if you would be using Basilisk.
I would go for the newer iBook G4, and I would use Tiger, rather than Leopard (better performance, in my experience) unless you must use Leopard for some reason.

Reactions: Tekguy0

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
The "Apple" method to use Mac OS 9 (Classic) is the Classic environment, which is NOT supported after Tiger.
(I suppose you already know that...)
With that in mind - either of those iBook G4s will run Tiger or Leopard.
Leopard will be "adequate", somewhat better on the newer iBook, but yes, max out the RAM, particularly if you would be using Basilisk.
I would go for the newer iBook G4, and I would use Tiger, rather than Leopard (better performance, in my experience) unless you must use Leopard for some reason.

I prefer leopard as I am more familiar with it.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Leopard is much better on the 2005, as it's the only iBook with a GPU that is fully supported under Leopard. This means you get the transparent menu bar, and a few other graphical effects.

Bigger hard drive and more RAM probably would be nice, too.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Is there a reason to not run Basilisk on your early 2008 MacBook or 2010 mini? I was more of a Sheepshaver user, but both SS and Basilisk ran fine on my 2009 mini until one of the last OS upgrades it could take. I don't thing I ever got SheepShaver working on my current iMac. I really need to set up a Lion VM and try getting SheepShaver, Boxer, and an old Apple // emulator going again before I upgrade to Catalina.

As far as price, checking eBay shows that general vintage running from $35 to over $100. Mind you, not many bids on any of them, so even those prices may be high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.