What if Adobe pulls Creative Suite from OSX?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by steviem, Apr 30, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Do you think that Steve Jobs and Apple is acting like this because they know that if Adobe pulls they have some competing applications ready to go up against with Creative Suite?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That is ridiculous. Why would Adobe willingly give up as much as half of their revenue?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Adobe is a company, it's aim is to make money, not to have friendships with other companies. If Adobe wants maximum profit, they won't reduce the support and availability for Macs. Feelings must be ignored while doing business.

4. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

OK, another slant.

Would Adobe start developing for Linux, or even more specifically, Ubuntu?

Would Apple be more inclined to start competing with Adobe in more areas than Photo management (in terms of Desktop applications)?

5. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

IF it happened, which it wont, both companies would lose customers. But the majority just wouldn't upgrade their creative suite for a few revisions but would upgrade their macs.

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

:D When people don't understand something, they tend to think of it in terms they can relate to. Many people seem to be viewing the Apple-Adobe conflict like the last schoolyard fight on the playground they saw, and the news media (and that sap John Stewart) is trying to cash in the same way.

It's not. This is big-boy school. It's big corporations and big money. Passion and emotion are way down the list of ingredients in this story.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If Photoshop were my livelihood I would move to another platform if I had to when my computer and the version of photoshop I was running became antiquated.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this move is a distinct possibility.

I don't think adobe would pull the rug out from under the customers in one felt swoop but rather they'd start offering heavy discounts for users to perform a cross grade license change. There are incentives they can perform to decrease the ratio of mac licenses vs. pc licenses.

Given the rancor between the two companies, its not inconceivable for adobe to raise the level a little further by doing this.

9. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Apple isn't trying to kill Adobe, you could probably argue they are trying to kill Flash but you could also argue that they are not even doing this more they are trying to put pressure on adobe to improve Flash for todays mobile devices.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see why not. Who wouldn't want an extra 357 customers?

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What red-blooded Linux user would pay for software in the first place?

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

LOL, excellent point.

13. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I doubt they're ditching Apple any time soon (like rdowns said, we represent half their revenue), but honestly, if they were to start making Creative Suite for Linux I'd have to at least seriously consider a switch with my next system purchase.

No, Linux is nowhere near as smooth and easy as OS X, but it's getting better all the time, and the difference in hardware prices is huge (almost enough to make up for the ridiculous price of Creative Suite. :rolleyes:)

Flash isn't going away any time soon, but any hopes they had of replacing HTML with Flash are clearly way past their expiration date. If Adobe's not too blinkered by their own in-company perspective (have you been to their online store lately? The Flash makes it unusable...), they'll realize that the web is in fact moving in the direction of standards. Imagine if they were to start working on a version of Flash that can output standards-based HTML5 that behaves similarly to Flash itself but without all the brokenness (bookmarks, context menus, tabbed browsing, security holes, etc). Now THAT would be a killer app.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I actually agree quite a bit. If Adobe had a Linux version I'd likely make my imminent workstation purchase a Linux box vs a Mac Pro...

15. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Claiming that such a move would lose Adobe half of it's marketshare is stupid.

If you are a serious user of Adobe products then you would just switch platform.

16. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, I can't switch platforms until it's possible to run a proper POSIX environment in Windows. (Even putting aside all the other usability and workflow frustrations.) Guess I'd start looking for a new line of work.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple already does compete w/Adobe in more areas than photo management. FCP predates Aperture by a long shot. If Adobe did venture out into Linux I'm not sure why they would stop supporting OSX or Windows. Adobe is software company (they've repeated referred to themselves as a maker of tools) and the more operating systems they support the larger their potential user base. Like others have said I don't see Adobe possibly alienating 50% of it's Photoshop users by ending support for OSX.

Or companies that have invested a massive amount of money into an Apple-centric workflow (like the one I work for) would just continue to use the latest OSX version of Creative Suite until someone else fills in the void.

Lethal

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Nope

Not a chance, at least in the next 10+ years.

You say "compete", but I have to laugh at that... So lets put them side by side...

Photoshop - > iPhoto
    Dreamweaver - > iWeb
    Lightroom - > Aperture (Fair enough program, I prefer it actually)
    Flash - > ?
    After Effects - > Motion (LOL)
    Premier - > FCP (Floundering imo while Premier is making necessary changes)
    InDesign - > Pages (?)

There is NO competition. Apple has been shifting away from creating and more towards consuming, while adobe continues to focus on creating software for creative professionals. On top of that, around half of Adobes software is purchased for the mac platform.

Apple does not have any desire to overtake that market segment. They are more focused on creating new expensive toys for city hipster folk to consume content created with Adobe's fine products :eek: