What if any updates expected in the next three months to the Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CultHero, May 31, 2013.

  1. CultHero macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2007
    I know there has been little news as of late on the display front, but I am about to upgrade from a 2005 iMac to a new Macbook Pro Retina. Just waiting to see what is released in the next few weeks.

    That said, I really like the idea of the Thunderbolt Display. Many say it is overpriced and it probably is, but the idea of a single cable to power and connect my laptop is fantastic.

    That said, I am curious as to what is looming on the horizon for the Thunderbolts? I know retina is a pipe dream as the GPU's can't handle a screen that size yet, I also know that Apple is probably holding off on the Thunderbolt until the Mac Pro is ready?!?!?

    What can they change? Thinner? Big deal. More ports?
  2. theluggage macrumors 68040

    Jul 29, 2011
    Nobody knows.

    Best guess is that they'd use the screen from the current 27" iMac (less glossy) probably along with a similar design (thinner-looking), add USB3 support and update the magsafe connector to magsafe 2.

    If they were going for "retina on the desktop" I suspect they'd start with the 21.5" iMac.

    Blue sky possibility is that they'd go for a 4k display to accompany a new Mac Pro. I wouldn't hold my breath, and even if they did they'd probably still need a more affordable monitor for people to plug their Minis and Airs into.
  3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a


    Mar 21, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Over the last couple of months, the TB displays have been almost constantly in the UK refurb store, whereas previously it was rare for them to be there. Given the news that Mac Pros are getting harder to find elsewhere (not now sold in the UK), I think chances of an upcoming upgrade are quite high as it will then link up with an upgraded Mac Pro.

    Can't see what else they will do other than match the iMac design and change ports/connections.

    Personally, I'd like a smaller display. The 27" is too big for my needs.
  4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

    A Hebrew

    Jan 7, 2012
    This. If they released a 21" iMac-size display with the same resolution (or even retina) I would buy it instantly just because of the nice ports/quality design.
  5. tiger2 macrumors member

    Sep 8, 2012
    24" would be better. This, I would buy as soon as available.
  6. tiger2 macrumors member

    Sep 8, 2012
    The price for refurbished thunderbolt displays was dropped a bit recently. Perhaps another sign a refresh is coming?
  7. designs216 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    I'm in the same boat and have been anxiously awaiting the update for the same reasons you mentioned. I also use the MBP as a desktop replacement and really look forward to having extra USB3 ports without having to clutter my workspace with a hub. But we may be waiting for some time as displays have one of the longest update cycles in Apple's entire product line.
  8. MetzoPaino macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2012
    Based on my complete lack of insider knowledge, i'd expect a high end retina versions by the end of the year, along with the current res version.

    They will probably change the shape and ports to be the same as the iMacs.
  9. carlgo macrumors 68000

    Dec 29, 2006
    Monterey CA
    It will be thinner. That's all I can say for now lest my sources are outed.
  10. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2007
    Anyone else? Push out my timeline to Oct? 4k out of the question. Seeing as I hold onto my stuff for years, I don't really have an issue paying for the best at the time. The current display just seems a little behind. Still I think it is fantastic.
  11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000


    Jun 20, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    I expect some updates to the Thunderbolt display by the time the new Mac Pro comes out, but we don't know when that would be.

    There will probably be an update to bring the 27" model in line with the iMac improvements, and add the latest connections. So it would be thinner, have less reflections, USB3, Thunderbolt 2 and MagSafe 2. I should be an update waiting for if you can.

    A 4K model might also appear to go with the Mac Pro.
  12. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2007
  13. macs4nw macrumors 601


    Sadly, I have no news to report, just speculation to offer; on reflection, probably more like 'wishlist speculation'.

    I could see them going back to a 30" display size, with a 24-26" model as a second option, and I think it's within the realm of possibilities they would offer once again a non-glare, matte option, for the many professionals who prefer that. Myself, I'd like to see a POWER switch, and more ports, specifically TB, dedicated digital/analog audio in/outs, and legacy FW800 (without having to use that adapter cable, taking up a TB port).

    I'm hoping for a refresh, alongside the new MacPro.
  14. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

    Apple fanboy

    Feb 21, 2012
    Behind the Lens, UK
    A 4k screen is quite likely IMO. Eizo are starting to sell them so the panels are out there.
    As others have said, thinner design and updated ports are pretty much a given when they do update, most likely announced with the new MacPro.


    There won't be a 30" or matte option IMO. Apple have moved away from them, and they don't do u-turns.
  15. macs4nw macrumors 601


    Just noticed this other post of yours. Check this out:

    http://www.asus.com/News/L9xTPmmMwTlPMq5l / http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PQ321Q/

    It needs top-notch graphics and is going to be around 4 grand, but as you mentioned you like to buy good equipment, and hold onto it for a long while, this may interest you. Just came out May 30, and is shipping since July, but supplies appear to be somewhat constrained. Cheers!
  16. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 20, 2007
    I keep searching but nothing is showing up in Google. As soon as the new rMBP comes out I will decide if I am going Ivy Bridge or Haswell and will be looking for a monitor at the same time. I am hoping Apple has an update for me otherwise I will be waiting there too.

Share This Page