What if Apple and ATT also sold like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

What if instead of waiting forever and being lucky enough to pop into one of the ATT or Apple stores to buy an iPhone, they both sell the iPhone online like they did with the first generation. But heres the difference:

We all know its subsidized and ATT and Apple don't want people unlocking it so they have to come in the store to unlock it and get it running. SO what if they sold it online for the "unsubsidized" price or even more. Lets say $700 for the 8GB and $800 for 16GB. When you recieved it you would be able to either activate it through iTunes or more preferably ATT store or Apple store. Once they activated it through these certified places their $500 or $600 would be reimbursed to them through their credit cards. (essentially meaning they paid the subsidized price of $200 and $300)

This would allow more people to buy the iPhones and lessen (but not eliminate) the chances for unlocking. If someone wants to buy a $800 iPhone thats 16gb and unlock be my guest.

This plan may have some flaws, but im sick of going around and asking when the stores are getting their iPhones in! Please discuss!

2. showtime macrumors 6502

Actually they should be able to sell them online even at a subsidized price. They do that with all their other phones they sell. You just have to sign the contract during checkout so it doesn't make sense as to why the iphone isn't online.

3. acrafton macrumors 6502

+1

Every phone I have every had I bought this way, subsidized and with a contract online. . it arrived the next day. This whole launch/activation thing is IMO a real problem. In DFW all the stores are sold out even though the tool says my local store has them (it got NONE in today), the ATT proles have no clue when they will get any in. . .and every morning there is a line of 50-100 outside the Apple store waiting to see if there will be any that day. ..

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Because the demand for unlocking those other crap phones that AT&T sell don't have the demand like the iPhone does.

Also, this would some how interfere with the iPhone being exclusive with AT&T in America, even though AT&T is still getting money.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If the iPhone 3G was available online I would have pre-ordered or bought it the minute it was available online. Simply because it's in store only I had to wait a couple days to wait in line for hours. I think they would have surpassed that 1 million phones significantly if both options were available. And the contract signing online would work flawlessly...

6. PAH Mac macrumors member

Yep, its absolutely stupid that AT&T isn't selling online. If they had taken pre-orders when they made the iPhone announcement last month they would have had a much better idea of how many phones they needed and where. It may generate some publicity to have lines but it is a huge pain for everyone involved and I don't think seeing news coverage of people waiting in line to get an iPhone is going to make someone want to run out and buy one.

7. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't interfere with it being exclusive to America at all. Shipping is limited to US addresses. The iPhone should be treated just like any other smartphone as they charge accordingly.

Unlocking is the reason they abandoned the independent activation. Online purchase with contract signing before completing purchase eliminates that concern. The iphone would be delivered activated.

This in store activation seems like a vehicle to artificially inflate marketing. "Look at all the people waiting in line, I better run get mine soon"

8. iPaul macrumors regular

+1

they want LINES