Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Yes i know, stupid stupid statement/quesiton...And yes i know Apple a cell network provider, this is all hypothetical as to whether it would actually work out in Apples favor if they ever considered it.

Possible - Yes?
Apple have the funds? - Yes
Likely - No

The amount of brainwashed apple users alone flocking to a "Apple Carrier" would be huge and max out the old t mobiles network capacity.

Again relax people...its just a discussion!

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
In the U.S. carriers aren't allowed to make their own handsets ;)

It's either that you make handsets or that you are a wireless provider (can never be both). Thats why you would never see any carrier make their own device and why Apple (making the iPhone) could never buy T-mobile...

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis

It's either that you make handsets or that you are a wireless provider (can never be both). Thats why you would never see any carrier make their own device and why Apple (making the iPhone) could never buy T-mobile...

I've never heard of this. Why can't they?

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010

wow thanks! Never knew that they were not allowed to do that.

/thread

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

Strange. I didn't know that either. You learn something new everyday.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Why wouldn't they be allowed to? Verizon has some phones that they market as their own, but PCD actually makes them.

But where is the fine print saying that's illegal?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
True, I didn't think of that.:D
It would be like $8 for a taco but the packaging and look of the products would be amazing.

It would be the best taco unwrapping experience ever. People would take pictures and video of their unwrapping.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

Yeah...what? :confused: I've never heard of this.

I know AT&T sells some AT&T branded phones (Such as pre-paid) that work on AT&T.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? Verizon has some phones that they market as their own, but PCD actually makes them.

But where is the fine print saying that's illegal?

Yeah...what? :confused: I've never heard of this.

I know AT&T sells some AT&T branded phones (Such as pre-paid) that work on AT&T.

T-Mobile's got the sidekick too. Must be a private company actually making the phones and then the carrier's logos are just branded on.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I think that we more likely see Google attempting to do something like it.

Why can't' they make their own handsets?

Google just bought Motorola's mobile division, they will keep it as a separate business, why can't they buy the carrier and keep it like something separate also?

Muro

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2011
Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Apple should buy Chuck Norris, so he can guard all the Apple stores at once. Oh thats right, nobody can buy Chuck Norris besides Chuck Norris himself.

No seriously, Apple should buy complete Asia and turn it into Appleland and replace all the portraits of facistic dictators with a grinning Steve Jobs portrait, think that would quite piss of Samsung.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think that we more likely see Google attempting to do something like it.

Why can't' they make their own handsets?

Google just bought Motorola's mobile division, they will keep it as a separate business, why can't they buy the carrier and keep it like something separate also?

They could, but anyone who approved that should be fired/shot. It's stupid, why would they want to own a carrier when they could sell their phones on every carrier around the world instead. The have no need for a carrier whatsoever.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
They could, but anyone who approved that should be fired/shot. It's stupid, why would they want to own a carrier when they could sell their phones on every carrier around the world instead. The have no need for a carrier whatsoever.

With that logic then why make computers when you could sell your OS on every computer made?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

Exactly, because no one is expecting them to do it.
They can revolutionize the way things are done nowadays at the carriers, cable providers, and ISP.

Initially it didn't make any sense for Apple to get into the Music business.

Google can change the way the internet services are provided, also they can, if they want to revolutionize the way mobile carriers operate.

There were some rumors about Apple trying to sell services from different carriers, and letting the subscribers or customers to choose anytime they wanted (at least on a month to month basis, if I recall correctly) the carrier that they prefer to use with the iDevices.

The traditional business models are dying: cable TV, landlines. And I think cellphone carriers and ISP are next.

Google and Apple have the money to do so if they want.

And that is the main caveat, do they want to?

The other issue is the power struggle on how the market rulers will lobby and avoid things that negatively affect their traditional streams of revenue.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
With that logic then why make computers when you could sell your OS on every computer made?

Microsoft has been very successful with that approach.

I think IBM is now focused on business services and other stuff, and now HP is another big tech company changing their business focus.

----------

Tell me the Taco Bell dog wouldn't look good in an Apple shirt?

Not really.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/22/entertainment/main5181327.shtml

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
if they bought it we would see the fanboys and girls go over to it in droves then scream at how great it is and how all the others suck. They would pay a extra for that right as well.

They would completely ignore the fact that the coverage compared to AT&T and Verizon Suck. Chances are there would be dropped call issues with network flooding due to the fact that the Apple worshipers would be flooding the network as well and they would defend the Apple cell network like no tomorrow.

I personally would love it because chances are it would mean cheaper prices on AT&T for me and the network being clogged up would not be as bad due to the people leaving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.