What if Apple bricked jailbroken iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

What if they put a ticking clock in a software update that would wait 3 months (so everyone would assume it's safe once the JB for the new OS is out) until it bricks the phone? They have the capability to do it legally since it's in their user-agreement that you aren't supposed to tamper with it (even though we pay $700 for these phones, we should be able to do whatever we want with it). So what do you guys think? Microsoft did it a couple of years back to people who modded their 360s, but that was with pirating games; but you think Apple has the guts to try something like this? And potentially lose millions of customers and billions of dollars overnight?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1. It'll never happen. That would seriously damage their reputation and almost make them similar to Microsoft. And even if it did, I'm sure Geohot would figure out some other way to JB.

Edit: Thanks for the late night laugh. Zombies!!!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

What if BMW killed my car after I put a chip in it? What if the dead start reanimating? I don't have time to worry about my iPod, I have to defend my home from zombies. Apple voids those warranties don't they? I wouldn't worry about it.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Nah. If anything, they would execute some code that would detect your iPhone is JB, then cause you to get a letter, scolding you for JBing, and telling you to report to the Apple Store to get your iPhone "healed", for a nominal fee of course.

But that's not real likely, either.

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Pretty sure they don't have the legal right to destroy your phone because it is jailbroken.

Now if it was just a side effect......then so be it but to go after with the purpose of destroying.........

7. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I know they wouldn't do it, but if only a small fraction of users did it, they probably would do it. But the reason that millions do it is because Apple, well, doesn't know how to manage its system. No customization with the home screen, or apps like "Categories" that organize all the clutter. Or replying to a Text from inside an app with the push of the volume button. Or accessing all your settings with the swipe of your screen instead of going all the way into Settings. I can't believe they aren't taking cues from people, there are a lot of other people who know how to make the iPhone better out there better than Apple itself in terms of these apps, not actual software.

8. outphase macrumors 65816

Under the EULA agreed to, a jailbreaker didn't have the legal right to jailbreak ;) but that is neither here nor there.

Apple isn't entirely stupid to further alienate its users. At the same time, if Apple acknowledges it, Apple will validate it at the same time.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Apple doesn't need to brick JB'd phones. Noob JBers do it just fine themselves.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Doesn't matter if I have the "legal" right to jailbreak. I don't think Apple has the legal right to destroy my property because I'm not using their product as intended.

Surprised we haven't had a forum lawyer chime in yet.

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

12. GeneralP macrumors member

There is no way in hell Apple would want to deal with that PR mess. The other thing is for the percentage of people who jailbreak their phones Apple isnt going to mess with them. This type of concern sounds like some paranoid stoners sitting arounds saying "Dude... what if...."

The other thing is that the Jail Broken phones actually benefit Apple and us. It pushes their R&D departments. The Jail Broken iPhone is the iPhone Killer that Apple has to compete with to make the better product and they know it. As much as anyone wants to believe the reason we got copy and paste and all the other goodies on 3.0 and in the 3gs was because it was being made available on the Jail Broken units. It wasnt because everyone wrote Steve Jobs emails or whined on MacRumors. It is pure economics, money driven.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought that any company that distributes software that causes damage would be breaking the law (basically in the same way that distributing malware breaks it), but perhaps it depends on the country. In any case, I doubt Apple would do this. However, I wonder about the phone companies.

14. firewood macrumors 604

Haven't some of the iPhone software updates already done this to some people? Apple doesn't guarantee that current or future updates will work on a device with a modified OS or baseband.

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

You have to remember guys that this is a Phone ... first and foremost, and under FCC and other legislations ... it would be a pure *****how if Apple did this.

If ever implemented all lawyers need for huge lawsuit is for someone needing to make a 911 call and cannot resulting into death, assault of any kind, or lingering injuries for them to be sued. Apple is not this dum. However, the can safely get away with this on the iPod_Touch.

16. jason221 macrumors 6502

Maybe for unlocked phones, but if your phone is only jailbroken it will simply go back to its normal state if you update it. No data except jailbreak data will be lost.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Its only like 9 or 10% of all iPhones are jailbroken. That's not much.

18. enohPi macrumors member

enohPi

S0000urce??

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I hope they don't accomplish it that way. I do however, want Apple to hardware-lock the firmware and rid jailbreak forever.

20. The General macrumors 601

What if?

Assuming the dev team and/or other hackers don't find the time bomb before it detonates, all jailbreakers' iPhones would be bricked. Then there would be possibly the largest class action lawsuit in the history of the Internet. Then we would win and Apple would at least have to debrick our iPhones for free.

Why would you want that?

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He's secretly Steve Jobs. :)

22. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

First of all, in order to do this they would have to install a HARDWARE chip in the iPhone to prevent a DFU restore. They could also probably disable that in an iTunes update, but in the current state, the jailbreak is a hardware exploit. They could easily do this for the next iPod touch, although I doubt that they would.

23. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

24. GeneralP macrumors member