What if Apple decided to License iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bigjnyc, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I know this would never ever happen, at least not in our lifetimes..... but just for the sake of discussion lets say Tim Cook slipped and hit his head one day and decided to license out iOS how do you think that would affect the Mobile market? what would you think about it?

without getting into the logistics, lets just say they make it work by selecting only a few manufacturers and making it easy to upscale apps in the app store.

I bet Samsung would buddy up with Apple right away and make an iOS Galaxy, HTC may see it as an opportunity for revival..... Users who desire those bigger screens but are tied in to iOS wouldn't have to compromise....

Most importantly what would that mean for the battle between iOS and Android?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

I think there is another Topic about this but I don't see the point to discuss this because you said it and we know it, it will never happen.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Just as soon as they start licensing OSX and allowing clones again.

4. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Everything would turn to crap as manufactures cut corners to maintain margins. Just like PCs.

6. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

No one would pay a dollar for it, this would happen.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

And they would start putting in crapware apps and their own apps and locking it down even more.

8. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I'd still purchase apple manufactured devices.

9. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

It would dilute the product and irreparably damage their reputation due to poor quality clones. Then you have to factor in compatibility issues and performance and you have a major problem. Also there is the retail side, Apple shops work because the only sell Apple computers / phones. This makes it easy to fix things or swap etc as they have an unlimited inventory of hardware and parts to draw from.

That is only the very tip of the iceberg of problems. So no, it would never ever happen.

10. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Ok so its safe to say that it would be an absolute disaster, and would definitely cause more harm than good.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, at best it would get rid of the advantages iOS has over android, and at worst it would destroy Apple