What if Apple followed suit for the next "C model" with the Moto X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ttinc, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ttinc macrumors regular

I like the option of having choices and I think the 5c is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of having multiple color options -- although I think all the offerings except for the white are atrocious and even then, the front of all the phones are black by default with no choice there.

As far as I know, the most "personalization/customizing" Apple has offered thus far for their products is allowing to write a message on the back of an iPod or an iPad. I think it would be amazing if they rolled out a system akin to Motorola's offering for the Moto X and would get the next "c" in a heart beat if that were the case.

I believe the form factor of the X is by and far the best I've seen in a phone thus yet. In my opinion it is the perfect size and best use of real estate as far as the screen goes to date. It's the most comfortable phone I've ever held in my hand and the material that the back is made of is a great sort of rubberized plastic that's both smooth, yet has good grip. I especially like that the FCC markings and all that are just raised on the material with the same color and not printed on with ink, so you wouldn't know it's there unless you felt it or really looked hard for it.

I'm sticking it out with my 4 until we see what Apple has to offer next, but I have a feeling I may be going with the Moto X2 unless they really step up their game for the next iPhone offering...trust me, I don't want to jump ship to Android -- otherwise I already would have long ago being that I'm still using my 4 that is definitely on its last legs.

2. irDigital0l Guest

I rather have the iPhone 6 gain the larger 4.7" screen.

The iPhone 6c should remain the same 4" screen but maybe allow for either a white or black front.

I actually like the iPhone 5c colors a lot and it feels quite good. Needs to be cheaper though for that lower end market.

3. ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

If they made the iPhone 6 customizable like the Moto X and still wanted to offer a tier below it like the Moto G, then that could be the new iPhone c series I suppose and the most ideal situation; albeit doubtful.

4. N64 macrumors regular

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Logistical and inventory nightmare. The only reason motorola can do it with the X the they're producing way less of those phones, think order of magnitudes less.

6. ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

How is it that much different from the 5c right now where they have 5 color offerings? I'm not saying it has to be as many color offerings as the Moto X...I think 4-5 offerings plus black and white would be great, whereas Motorola has 18 colors for the back.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Nice idea, though would make warranty swaps at the Genius Bar a pain. Would either have to repair it, or order in a new one.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's very different. Do the math on the possible permutations for the Moto X. Compare that to 5 permutations with the 5c. With only 5 options they can prefill the supply chain. With the Moto X approach it's impossible to do so or would require overproducing by quite a degree to prefill the chain.

9. ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

How about if you want a replacement right then and there, you can have the option of all black or all white, but if you want your own customized replacement, you have to order it in just as you would with a new one? It's a good point...which makes me wonder how Motorola is dealing with replacements for the X.