What if Apple fused iOS and OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Frign, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Frign, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

Frign macrumors member

Good day,
    I just wondered what you would do, if Apple decided to combine the development of iOS and OSX and release an Operating System, which mainly resided on iOS, even more than it does today.
    Looking at current alternatives, there would be some ways to go, but the primary question is: Would you even stay with OSX?

I am looking forward to your replies

cheers

FRIGN

2. Frign thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the extensive list of links, but I unfortunately forgot to point out, that I exactly know what I would do (Debian Testing/Xfce).
    I will look through the topics for other relevant positions.

cheers

FRIGN

3. WSR macrumors regular

I would probably make my SL machines last as long as possible. Especially if the fusion was to much to the iOS side.

iOS is designed for devices with limited input methods and limited abilities. It also works well with users who don't use their computer to the limits as in they just want to surf the net, check email, and watch media.

OSX is more for those that need more powerful abilities like full multitasking. iOS freezes apps that are put into the background most of the time.

It is true that as iOS et. al. becomes more powerful we will see more people going to having just a tablet PC, but desktop PC's will always need to be there for more powerful computing. I am sure of this since as tablets become more powerful so will desktops. The level that is in question are the laptops.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

iOS is a subset of OSX. There isn't that much difference between them as people think - they share many libraries. That's how it's always been from the beginning. Hence I find it difficult to answer your question.

5. waynep macrumors 6502

I hear podcasters say things like the IOS-ification of OSX . . . . .

OK they added launchpad which looks like the iPad program launcher. So what . . . If you don't like it, you don't have to use Launchpad.

Did they remove features from OSX that made it a more powerful operating system? Yea spaces and mission control are changes that some don't like. There will always be change and not everyone will be happy. I just can't see IOS on the desktop/laptop in the near future. Too many people can't get a long with IOS only functionality.

6. jaynone macrumors member

I agree, and the iOS-ification of OS X is probably something to do with trying to bring over more of the iphone/ipad crowd to an apple desktop.

I wouldn't mind some more integration between some apps between my mac and my iOS devices.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Most people overlook, that the hardware does not exist, to support a iOS-like OS on the desktop (Or do we have "retina" touchscreens on our desktops?). ARM-based designs are good for low power, mobile devices (phones, tablets). Touchscreens are also good for mobile devices, but not very useful on the desktop.

8. waynep macrumors 6502

The other thing they claim indicates moving OSX towards IOS is the Mac App store. I don't see it that way . . . I just think the Mac app store is a nice way to distribute software. I'll buy all my Mac software there if I can.

9. interrobang macrumors 6502

They won't be fused.

OS X will be eliminated as soon as iOS is mature enough and versatile enough to replace the vast majority of OS X use cases. (It doesn't have to be a complete replacement; Apple has repeatedly demonstrated that it will drop the older platform once the newer platform is close enough.)

This has not happened yet. But OS X is a legacy platform. It continues to exist, like IBM's mainframes, because it continues to make money, but Apple is doing zero development on it other than updates and ports from iOS. All the new features in OS X come out for iOS first.

10. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I'm ready for LiOS.

So is it possible in the foreseeable future that Lion, and iOS merge together to truly become one OS for all Apple devices?

What would the advantages, and disadvantages be to something like this happening?

11. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I wouldn't want them too, iOS is great for ipads/phones/etc touch devices but I don't use the 'new' stuff in lion that resembles the Ipad/Iphone stuff at all.

12. waynep macrumors 6502

I have been reading some . . Seems IOS and OSX are closely related, with IOS being a subset derived from OSX. Both are "unix" like under the covers, which more easily seen on OSX. So to over simplify. Why no take things from one to the other when it makes sense? They may never move to a single operating system . . . maybe they are closer than we thing, with simply UI stuff on top.

xcode is used to develop both . . . just different SDK's right?

13. iVoid macrumors 65816

If they did fully fuse them fully, I'd have to start looking at a linux alternative or maybe even (*GASP*) windows.

Lion already has changes that are crippling the power that Mac OS X has.

14. waynep macrumors 6502

Like what? I have been a Mac user for a year and only used Snow Leopard and Lion. What did they remove?

15. simsaladimbamba

Spaces. And proper Exposé, which also got crippled a bit in Snow Leopard.

Imagine going from this:
    [​IMG]
    to this:
    [​IMG]

But I guess the majority where not using Spaces like this, thus Mission Control is fine for most consumers.

16. waynep macrumors 6502

I grew up with DOS, Windows and HP-UX. I understand Spaces. I tried it on Snow Leopard but decided that I did not run enough apps at one time to make it sensible in my mind. My Mac is my personal computer so I am not running lots of apps at once.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used to have multiple desktops when Snow Leopard came out, but I found them to be a bit of a headache. I don't mind a single desktop and I generally don't even use Mission Control in Lion.

I run about 7 to 15 apps at any one time.