Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello! Today I wanted to talk about the iPad Air, that has been somewhat eclipsed by all this M4 iPad Pro noise.

This is a thought that arose in me only a couple of days ago, when we all already assume the new iPad Pro are coming with an M4 SoC. Most people assume that the Air is getting the M2 SoC, and some think the Air is getting an M3 SoC. However, I think there are enough reasons to think that putting an M4 SoC also on the iPad Air would make sense. Let's begin with...

The downsides of the expected options for the iPad Air:

- Putting an M2 SoC is still the most likely option for the iPad Air, it provides a wider bandwidth RAM, a faster SoC (especially regarding the GPU and the NPU), and it is a decent spec bump for the in between member of the iPad family. Also, the M2 SoC is probably much cheaper to manufacture. However, the M2 is already a bit old SoC, which will become even older once the M4 takes the stage. The iPad Air getting an M2 now, while MacBooks are already on M3, the iPad Pro is on M4, and the remaining M2 machines such as the minis will be upgraded to M4 later this year, leaves the Air in a bad space if it gets an M2 in mid 2024. So maybe they opt for an M3?

- Putting an M3 SoC would leave the iPad on a more decent position, being not as powerful as the iPad Pro, but at the same level of most other M-powered devices. For some people, this is the logical step. However, there are two downsides to this approach: 1) Apple wants to get rid of the M3 gen ASAP, because the N3B is not a cheap process, and it also isn't a big jump in performance and features such as it is expected from the M4, especially regarding its AI capabilities. Let's recall that the M3 Neural Engine is nowhere near as powerful as the A17 Pro one, despite sharing CPU and GPU architectures. And 2) I have the impression that the A17/M3 gen runs hotter due to the high clocks. On a Macbook it may run fine, but the iPad is a highly thermally constrained enclosure.

Reasons to put the M4 on the iPad Air, as well as on the iPad Pro:

- Simply put, if there are any exclusive M4 SoC features, mostly AI-centered through a more powerful NPU or a more ML-capable GPU, I don't think Apple wants to leave them exclusive to a small subset of their iPad lineup, especially because Apple will eventually put the M4 on the Air. So... why hold off a whole year while the iPad Pro, and all the Macs later this year, are getting the M4 in 2024? The N3E seems like a refined process with good yields that has been used by TSMC to manufacture some chip since December 2023. They are stocking this chips only for the iPad Pro? Maybe... or maybe not.

- There's no longer a reason to differentiate the iPad Air and Pro based on the System-on-a-Chip, because the new iPad Pro design will be enough differentiator with the gorgeous -and expensive- OLED display, Face ID, new Apple Pencil 3 support, and maybe other goodies such as wireless charging. So, why keep the iPad Air, with an older design, and an older screen tech, with an old M2 SoC, or an expensive-to-manufacture M3? You put the M4 on both iPads, and upsell the Pro with the OLED screen, new Apple Pencil, nano-textured glass option, and other benefits. That way, whenever the WWDC announces the new AI capabilities, they can feature two products on the same keynote supporting those exclusive features, such as on-device LLM, or an even faster LLM relative to the M3 products. I also think there's a chance we see many Macs receiving an M4 refresh during the WWDC, but that belongs to another thread...

Maybe you've thought about this at MaxTech, @vadimyuryev , but I think it is a good food for thought.

Only 2 days remaining to know everything about the M4 and the new iPads on the Let Loose event.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
If the pro gets M4, I could see them giving it M3 especially with them releasing a larger size one And considering we’ll probably be at M5 by the time the next iPad Pro and Air are released (guessing late 2025 or early 2026)

M4 seems unlikely for the Air, and definitely not possible without a price hike. I think the air would benefit the most from a storage increase. M3 and maybe a slightly better camera and off course landscape camera will make this a very compelling tablet.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
If the pro gets M4, I could see them giving it M3 especially with them releasing a larger size one And considering we’ll probably be at M5 by the time the next iPad Pro and Air are released (guessing late 2025 or early 2026)

M4 seems unlikely for the Air, and definitely not possible without a price hike. I think the air would benefit the most from a storage increase. M3 and maybe a slightly better camera and off course landscape camera will make this a very compelling tablet.
Why a price hike, if the M4 will actually be cheaper to manufacture than the M3? N3E is the way to go!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's a nice thought exercise, but Apple won't due to marketing and to maintain the product stack.

iPad Air is a mainstream product intended to discourage consumers from buying the $449 iPad. Apple's goal is to push everyone to the Pro models. Having Air so close in specs to Pro doesn't help.

M2 is still an expensive chip, even at 5nm. A17 Pro is estimated to cost $130. M3 is close to $200. This doesn't work with Apple's 2.5X to 3X markup over cost.

AI is a premium selling feature, just like the software camera features that Apple rolls out every year. They're not about to give away AI features to tier-2 devices like iPad Air.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It's a nice thought exercise, but Apple won't due to marketing and to maintain the product stack.

iPad Air is a mainstream product intended to discourage consumers from buying the $449 iPad. Apple's goal is to push everyone to the Pro models. Having Air so close in specs to Pro doesn't help.

M2 is still an expensive chip, even at 5nm. A17 Pro is estimated to cost $130. M3 is close to $200. This doesn't work with Apple's 2.5X to 3X markup over cost.

AI is a premium selling feature, just like the software camera features that Apple rolls out every year. They're not about to give away AI features to tier-2 devices like iPad Air.
Yep, I got caught by my desires but all points towards an M2 iPad Air.

LAS011519

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
That’s not happening. Leaked identifier for the Air is an M2 chip.

Only the Pro has a new chip identifier.
Could be fake news…

The Pro’s identifier (t8132) was for M3. What’s the identifier for M4?

Last edited:

LAS011519

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
Giving it M2 will definitely put more spotlight on the Pro
Nah. “The iPad Air getting an M2 now, while MacBooks are already on M3, the iPad Pro is on M4, and the remaining M2 machines such as the minis will be upgraded to M4 later this year, leaves the Air in a bad space if it gets an M2 in mid 2024.” M3 is the way to go. It’ll be a last minute change.

LAS011519

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
The Air will M2 due to M3 being an expensive. 3nm is not cheap and no leaks stated M3
No leaks stated M3, you’re right. But tech YouTubers like Brandon Butch is saying M3, while AppleTrack is saying “M2, possibly M3”. Because the iPad Pro is getting M4, iPad Air is likely getting M3, not M2.

LAS011519

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
I love all the theories prior to the announcement. It makes the build up fun. I just hope Apple has a surprise or two for us on Tuesday. Didn’t the current M1 Air release like two years ago? It would be pretty lame for it to only get M2 now.
M1 iPad Air came out in March 2022, so more than 2 years ago. And I'm with you on that it’ll be lame if the Air does get M2. I wanna think of it as the 24” iMac at the Scary Fast October event last year; the iMac went from M1 to M3, skipping the M2.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I'm just curious about something. They and us keep on saying the iPad Pro would get an M4 chip. What if they get a new chip, called an P1 (for lack of a better word) that's speciality designed for the iPad? This chip could be a reduced M4 chip, or maybe a binned version with some cores removed?

As is, the Mx chips are too powerful for the iPads, and their potential is wasted.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

hoorayforhollywood

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2017
Surely if Apple's big sell with the WWDC software (across the board) announcements that we are expecting are all about AI, wouldn't EVERY device have to get an M4 / M4-based chip - including the Air? You'd have to include the lower-end (and most popular) devices. If the next OSs need M4 to take advantage of their new hyped capabilities it will be for EVERYTHING.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Mx is for MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Mx Pro, Max and Ultra for Pro and Studio machines.

Why don’t they do this with iPads? Like Mx for reg iPad, Mx Pro for iPad Pro.

Why put base M4 in iPad Pro?

Where is the logic.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Mx is for MacBook Air and Mac Mini. Mx Pro, Max and Ultra for Pro and Studio machines.

Why don’t they do this with iPads? Like Mx for reg iPad, Mx Pro for iPad Pro.

Why put base M4 in iPad Pro?

Where is the logic.
Because the “MX” chips in the iPad are already significantly more thermally limited than even the MacBook Air.
And the “MXPro” chips are even more power-hungry than that, only being included in devices that also have active cooling.

An M3Pro iPad would have awful battery life and even worse thermal issues.

Meanwhile, the baseline M chips are literally designed for machines without active cooling and tiny thermal envelopes, like the iPad.
Remember, not only is the iPad about half as thick as a MacBook Air, but also all of the components have a heat producing screen laid right on top of them, and a smaller battery than any MacBook.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
People really need to temper their expectations around here. Apple gives nothing more away than it absolutely has to give. I expect M2 Air and M3 Pro. I think M4 is on the horizon, but not for the 2024 iPad Pro. Expectations around here have predictably gone to the moon and Apple doesn’t travel out of the upper atmosphere on established products. The fallout tomorrow will be popcorn worthy, but shouldn’t even occur. Be realistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.