What if bought Mac is updated soon after purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justASK, Sep 26, 2008.

1. justASK macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an iMac (24", 2.8GHz, upgrading to 4GB memory and upgrading the hard drive to 500GB). I need it ASAP as my PC has just died, however I hear that 'October 14th' is the date when Apple COULD release iMacs with updated insides...

Does anyone know if Apple has a policy where, if they are updated on October 14th, would I be able to exchange? If so, and the returns period is for example 2 weeks, should I wait until, 1st October before buying it.

Additionally, if anyone knows, would upgrading to a bigger hard drive cause a louder sound.

Thanks in advance

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I'm pretty sure it's two weeks, but if there's nothing wrong with the iMac you get you might have to pay a restocking fee. Someone here will know for sure, or possibly the Apple Store staff might know.

As for the hard drive, as long as you buy a decent make (Seagate, Western Digital, etc) they're no louder than any other.

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

October 14th is being touted for laptop updates. There have been no rumours regarding the iMac. If past experience is anything to go by, the iMacs will not be updated for a while. There was over a year between the last gen white iMacs and the Aluminium ones released in 2007.

As was mentioned, you are getting an excellent machine if you buy the current model. An update does not make your computer any worse.

Will a slight speed bump really make a huge difference? We aren't going to see any major increases in speed until Intel's Nehalem around mid 2009.

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I just bought a black macbook yesterday, if there is an update, so what.

Like everyone else said, whatever you buy now is really a great machine. You won't be disappointed.

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to say it but buying a Macbook now is probably not the best thing to do. I know they are only rumours but there have been mummerings about price drops when the updates come. And if the rumours are true, the new Macbooks are going to be pretty damn sexy.

Ahem... sorry... enjoy your Macbook.

6. Big Willie macrumors member

To original poster, you should look at the refurbs on Apple's site. Save some bucks, get the full warranty.

:cool:

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

People have work to do, businesses to run. Unless they are not in urgent need for a computer then yeah sure wait. But some peoples work and businesses revolve around their computer. They can't wait.

If you want a tried and tested computer, with no Rev A issues, buy now.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Agreed. Same computer that is selling for retail only a couple hundred cheaper. Same warranty, same computer.

I love refurb macs. Every mac product i own is a refurb.

That imac you are planning on getting will last you a while. The imacs were updated not to long ago. I wouldn't expect a new imac.

Buy now and be happy.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Even if new ones are released it won't mean that everyone elses computers will burst into flames, his blackbook and my macbook will still be wonderful computers. And besides, the changes are rumored to be mostly cosmetic anyways. Big deal. :D

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I don't need sexy, just a reliable computer that works ;)

but thanks anyway :p

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Here's another vote for "get a refub now; avoid Rev A issues; save a fair bit of change; have a working computer in-hand."