What if bumper doesnt work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slith003, Jul 10, 2010.

1. slith003 macrumors member

Has anyone gotten a bumper to fix the iphone reception issue and had it not help any? Will they replace your phone or just give you the run around?

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Using a Bumper or other case is not an absolute fix. In most cases it will limit the affect of holding the iPhone 4 "down there" to a point where you shouldn't have a problem anymore.

As always, if the signal where you are is already poor, it won't take much to cause a total loss.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If the bumper doesn't fix the issue, you have these choices.

1. Deal with it
    a. Assume it will never be fixed.
    b. Hope it will be fixed with a quiet hardware revision, and get your phone swapped out due to another legit warranty issue like the green camera blob therefore getting a phone that doesn't have that issue.

2. Return the phone

4. rkb macrumors member

I have had either some BS case from Best Buy or a Bumper from release day. No problems at all, without it I see the bars drop. I think it has a lot to due with the signal strength in your area, mine is generally pretty good so with a case the whole signal problem is a total non issue.

5. slith003 thread starter macrumors member

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The Bumper is not sold to fix the iPhone's alleged reception issues. It's purpose is to "enhance the 'phone's appearance" and offer a degree of protection.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

JohnT is correct, however, it does fix the antenna issue.

It has totally taken care of it for me to the point that it is now a non-issue.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

Instead of a fix I think of it as a permanent workaround. I always use a case anyway and no more antenna issue!

9. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

You are right saying that is not WHY it was made. But if you call Apple and ask what to do, they will tell you to buy a bumper (i've called multiple time and this was their response.) This meaning they claim it fixes the problem...

And for me it has totally fixed the problem... No more dropped calls, woohoo!

10. firewood macrumors 604

Depends on how strong a cellular signal you have. With a good strong signal, you don't need either a bumper or to "hold different". With a moderately weak signal, a bumper might prevent holding it wrong causing a dropped call. With a really weak signal, you gotta keep your hand away from the bottom antenna, bumper or none.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Bumper does not fix the reception issues. It is a Band-Aid and I can still drop bars depending on my hand position.