Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
...there is no keynote because steve thought that there was nothing much to talk about?

bear with me here.....look at all the other keynotes....they were dominated by OS X tiger, the MAJOR overhaul of the imacs and cinema displays, and other new software demonstrations. if its just a minor product upgrade and not a major overhaul, then it's probably not going to be worthy of a keynote. keynotes only seem suitable for overhauls and new product releases, wheras minor updates seem to happen on their own.

i do expect something (although not ground breaking; one of steve's exciting powerPC products) at apple expo paris.

just my theory, any thoughts?

tastic

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Now that it looks like the only announcement will be the .Mac upgrades, that points to one of two things:

My money is on that the Nano wasn't originally planned to be ready until now, but some combination of having it ready to ship a couple weeks earlier than expected and Moto's phone being a letdown (though they would've known about that a while ago) caused them to announce it early while people (as in everyday people, not us Mac-watchers) were paying attention.

The other possibility, as they did plan one originally then cancel it, is that whatever they were going to announce--say, a minor PM revision--has been delayed, so it wasn't worth getting up and talking about it.

I'd say it's possible there wasn't anything to talk about, but they'd have known that a month ago when the keynote was originally announced, so you gotta figure something changed that caused them to change their plans.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
G5Unit said:
Maybe he wants us to think there will be no major updates...

Yeah, a part of me thinks this is a bit of a diversionary tactic, but then again the fact that there's no keynote will probably stop more press from showing up, and I'm sure Apple knows better than to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.