What if halo had never left the mac

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ert3, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

How well would the XBOX and XBOX360 have faired so far if Halo had been a mac exclusive.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

not as well, but i'm guessing MS would still poor cash into Xbox, so it would still be around.

And its likely MS would have found another promising IP.

As for Mac gaming

I'd bet we'd all know about it, but its be generally ignored by PC gamers and console gamers.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If it had then I'd have played Halo and not hated it huzz huzz huzz

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

We can only DREAM. :D

My guess is that the XBox would have been in the bargain bin prematurely.

Now that Bungie has broken away from being a Halo whore, they can go back to making better games and supporting other platforms -- especially the Mac.

Sadly, MS just buys the development rights of the games they want. With the 360 doing eh when it comes down to it and MS's cash cows stagnating in enterprise, I wonder how long MS can continue to operate at a loss in gaming?

Stay Zuned for new information!

<]=)

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

If Halo had never left Macs then it would have been a legendary game like the Marathon Trilogy instead of the average, dumb games they are now.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Then fewer people would be able to play a great game. Then there wouldn't be as many obnoxious fanboys either. Also, I am talking about Halo 1. They other ones really aren't as great. If Halo 3 was Mac only it would be even worse (or better!) because the online and the story mode would suck, but they would probably make a better story mode if they weren't focused on online.

7. hegor macrumors member

Halo would still be a Cult Classic on the Mac.

Bungie would have gone out of business for lack of revenue.

The Xbox would have totally crashed and burned so bad that even MS would've stopped trying to push into the marketplace making the PS2 even more successful last generation. No Halo, no Xbox, that simple.

Someone else would have tried to get a third machine on the marketplace, probably Sega. Apple would have never done it, maybe licensed technologies to some other corporation who wanted to assume the risk.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I still think that MS has something to do with Sega leaving, besides the obvious three's a crowd.

Here's my reasoning;
    -Back in the nineties, MS worked with Sega to create a PCI Saturn card for PCs running Windows -- I was tempted to buy one.

-Later the Dreamcast shipped with Windows CE, so it's obvious Sega and MS had some kind of partnership.

-Now I recall hearing or reading some place year's back that Sega helped MS develop the XBox's memory architecture -- maybe on Tech-TV.

Now having rambled the above, I believe that Sega didn't leave because three was a crowd, or they were hurting so bad that they couldn't give it another go, I honestly think that MS paid them a sizable chunk to get out of the hardware business, because four consoles would have been way to crowded.

I also believe that it was MS's huge Marketing(FUD) machine that spread the Nintendo Kiddie crap -- which hurt sales. When the N64 came out, I had never heard anyone refer to Nintendo in that way and this was when I worked in the game industry. It's also a safe bet to say that the Cube would have been more successful, especially without MS's FUD machine at full steam(slander).

<]=)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Back in 2000/2001 (maybe) a friend told me that Microsoft and Sega were both working on the Xbox. Hense the similar controller, 4 ports and all that. But that Microsoft had severed ties and they took all credit.

Sounds like complete BS?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If Halo never made it to the xbox, Bungie would have eventually been taken over by someone.

There would simply be insufficent sales of Halo on mac alone to warrant a Halo 2 or 3.

It would have been the biggest mistake Bungie as a company could have been made, regardless of your like or dislike of microsoft.

As it stands Bungie are in a lot stronger position and therefore can continue to make games - which irrespective is a good thing.

Microsoft i'm sure would have found some other game and publisher / developer and they have proved by this stage that they are in the console business for the forseeable future.

They may lose money, but hey so do Sony (3 billion on PS3 so far) but likewise they too are here to stay.

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, but Sony made money last generation. :p

MS would definitely have found a way to stick around for their media center revolution. I'm a hypocrite, I want them and all of the Xbox developers to come back home to where they belong, on the PC. :( Then there would be a clear division between console and PC gaming again.

<]=)

12. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah I bet the Xbox would not have been what it is today for sure. I doubt the Mac would have been as successful as the Xbox had been with the franchise though.

13. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

nintendo + apple need to merge

products loook so similar

wii = apple

ds = macbook?

apple could help nintendo with better OS/ Hardware

14. pcypert macrumors 6502

I've always said Apple and Nintendo should team up. WiiTV or something. Have the hard drive, network, and content provided by Apple and Nintendo games. That way the "console" is generating income for both from TV/Movie Downloads as well. Can free up for more indie type developments and Nintendo exclusives. Do VC downloads Itunes style :D

Paul

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It wouldn't be as popular as it is now and might of fade off into memory(like part 3 should)...the original xbox would of suffered because of it.

Apple and Ninty teaming up.............no.

Bless

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Halo wouldnt need the Xbox since Halo was going to be released on the PC at the same time. PC games sold really well back then. It would still be around today if it came out for PC, a lot of popular PC series came out around 2000.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and Halo wasn't one of them ... compared to let's say Counterstrike it was more considered an "also-ran average game"

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I recall that Halo being developed for the Mac was more strategic, or something like that. They had to dumb it down for the XBox's 3D platformer controller.

<]=)

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

No. Last I looked Nintendo and Apple were doing well by themselves and a collaboration would serve no purpose.

任天堂
    Leave luck to heaven.

I believe it was originally an RTS

20. pcypert macrumors 6502

I love how people get highly practcial on speculative threads. Yes Nintendo and Apple are doing well on their own...but a partnership would make both of them truckloads of cash. I can just see the itprintsmoney.gif with Ninty Guy and Jobs :D

As of late Apple has been partnering with all kinds of like minded (but highly unlikely) vendors and making more money because of it, why not this? It's just as likely as them actually getting back into the console game.

Use .Me service instead of friend codes...that would be sweet. Itunes VC store...sweet again. Hard drive so we can get decent updates to games and store more than a handful of saves and VC games...super sweet.

I mean if we're gonna dream and speculate here we might as well dream something nice. That partnership would crush one of the other consoles though almost guaranteed. In an odd way it might help the 360 as it'd come down to Apple vs Microsoft in people's minds as the battle would be downloadable content and bluray would cease to make an impact on buyers minds.

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wow, paul.. you are WAY out there..

However you can hold on to that far fetched never will come true dream all you want ;)

Attached Files:

22. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Halo went through a really weird and chaotic development process.

I believe it started as an RTS on the Mac, then Microsoft took an interest and bought Bungie to work on their new "Xbox" project. At that point Halo turned into an action-shooter game, but was in third-person. The game didn't become a first-person shooter until someone put the camera on Master Chief's face just to see what the game would be like, and everyone agreed that Halo should be a first-person shooter. Like I said, really weird and chaotic.

Considering Halo was the only good Xbox game until Halo 2 released, I'm sure the Xbox would have been a colossal failure without Halo, and there would not have been an Xbox 360.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It was a third person shooter before xbox was announced. The only early gameplay videos are of a shooter for mac and PC, if it was ever supposed to be an RTS it was only for a brief time and before 1999.

24. pcypert macrumors 6502

There were other good games before Halo 2. I loved a lot of Xbox games and Halo was by far one of the least played games by me on the console. Every console will have something work for them and stand out. If it wasn't Halo the Xbox would have had it and would have developed a different following...man wouldn't it have been sweet if it was Oddworld :D

Paul