What if Hardware Test shows negative and the Machine still gets Kernel Panic?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sandock, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Sandock macrumors member

Hi everyone! I have a 2.8 Octo mac pro, Early 2008 with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics, 6 GB Ram, 4 of which are from OWC. I have a Cintiq 20WSX hooked up to it doing animation with Adobe Flash CS3.

Since I upgraded the software to 10.5.3, and now 10.5.4, I've been having some kernel panics. Some of the crashes where attributed to the Wacom Tablet Driver and I've been exchanging emails back and forth with Wacom Support and their latest release of the driver seems to solve some of the problems. Now, it's the intermittent kernel panics that's causing me issues. I would get the gray curtain of death every other day.

I have been doing some process of elimination by removing the Cintiq from the Mac Pro and hooking it up with my iMac. The Cintiq runs great on the iMac and I have yet to get a kernel panic. Which led me to suspect that maybe it's in the RAM of my Mac Pro that is causing the problem, or maybe something else I know not of.

Other than the mouse, monitor and keyboard, I only have the Cintiq as the external peripheral hooked up to the Mac Pro when these kernel panics occur.

Both Mac Pro and iMac are on 10.5.4. Both have Flash CS3 and the latest tablet driver installed. Actually, other than Flash CS3 I do not have any other 3rd party up running on the Mac Pro.

I've been running the Apple Hardware Test and have it on loop for 21 hours straight now, 14 passes so far. There's no report yet of anything.

My question is, what should I do after should the Apple Hardware Test reveals nothing wrong? Is there any other way to find out what's been causing those intermittent kernel panics that I have been having with the MacPro and the Cintiq? Do I let it run (the Apple Hardware Test) a lot longer to see if anything will come up?

Sorry for the long querie, I just wanted to state everything to give everybody a clearer picture.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Then its a software issue, check your logs for the error/crashes in osx.

3. Sandock thread starter macrumors member

I am running the exact app, Flash CS3, on my iMac with the Cintiq hooked up to it and so far I have no problems with it. Same OS version, both apps with the latest release update. I am not completely ruling out Flash as the main cause of the issue, but like I said, it works fine on the iMac.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I hate to say this, you may need a reinstall.

5. Sandock thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I did just that a couple of weeks ago when the issues started coming up. I installed new harddrive on the Mac Pro and did a fresh install of everything. I tested with 10.5.1 first, since when I first got the Cintiq I think that was the OS version I had and I had no problems back then. It was only when I updated to 10.5.3 that the problems started popping right back. As I needed 10.5.3 to run the version of Aperture that I have, I just had to make it work, so I emailed back and forth with Wacom Support to see if it was a driver issue. Wacom released a new driver sometime June 17, I tried that and everything worked well for a couple of days before the gray curtain of death suddenly started coming back again.