What if.... How much weight would be reduced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleSticker54, Mar 25, 2012.

1. AppleSticker54 macrumors newbie

First off, sorry if this has been asked already. I'm still kinda new to the forums :)

I am waiting on the refresh (like many others) and here is my question:

For a 13" MBP (assuming today's version) how much weight would be reduced if BOTH the cd drive AND the spinning hard drive were removed? I am thinking of spending the extra for SSD and I'm curious how much closer weight-wise to the MBA this version would be.

Many thanks in advance to all you more knowledgable than me!

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

I'm not sure about the CD drive, but I think it'll be about 250 odd grams, and the difference between a SSD and a HDD drive is pretty negligible to be honest. The larger the capacity of the drives, the bigger the difference, but it's never really much more than about 15g. So all in all, you'd save a possible 265g approximately. It means that the MBP would be about 1lb heavier than an equivalent MBA, rather than 1.5lb heavier otherwise. Not really that much, but if that's what you want, then go ahead!

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

How about seeing the SSD shells disappear, leaving it bare like the macbook air blade style SSD. Then you could maybe split a SATA 3 connection and fit 2 SSDs where you could normally fit one. I would like to put 3 SSD's in my current 17" mbp.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I heard filling it with a helium works a wonder.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The problem is it makes the sound come out much higher.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The optical drive is around 50g, not 250. An SSD isn't much lighter than a spinning hard drive either.

So, not much.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The majority of weight for modern laptops is the battery and screen...neither which we can really chop out :p

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why would Apple simply strip out parts but put nothing in that space?

Assuming the design stays relatively the same, I'm guessing we'll just see a larger longer-lasting battery that utilizes the space vacated by the ODD. And if a retina display is in the plans... the MBP13 will need it.

10. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

If you're worried about weight and portable. MacBook Air's are amazing for that.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem then is, upgrading to higher capacity SSDs. Right now, we have an incredible selection of SSDs. If apple goes with a non standard setup, it will be quite difficult, or we'll lack of choices just in the name of a few ounces

12. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Well Apple did just acquire Anobit, so maybe that could drive down in-house prices.

13. jevel macrumors regular

50g? Really?

I've had quite a few laptops, and most of the optical bays on these has been in the area 150 - 200. My current Dell optical bay clocks in at 170g.

-KJ

14. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I just weighed my SD and it weighs 126.83 grams.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, but it makes it sound like a chipmunk! :D

16. jevel macrumors regular

Makes sense as it has no sliding tray and no bezel compared to the Dell one.

Thanks for sorting this out. :)

-KJ

17. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Definitely, although I use an optibay and have my stock 750gb in there, I'm sure it is a tad bit heavier. Not to mention my moshi palm rest, privacy screen, incase hardshell and a keyboard cover. :)

I wouldn't even care if this machine weighed 15lbs. Weight is not really a factor with me, even though I carry it in my bag daily.