what if I break my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joefinan, Feb 14, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

if I sign an 18mnth contract with o2 and break my phone 14 mnths later, what happens??

UPDATE: An answer direct from O2:

"Thank you for emailing us to find out what would happen if you lose or break your iPhone.

If you lose or break your iPhone within your contract term and if you don't have an insurance cover for the iPhone, you can purchase another iPhone at full price and continue your contract.

The charge for the iPhone 8Gb (Gigabyte) is £269.00 and iPhone 16Gb is £329.00. You can purchase the iPhone from:

O2 retail stores
    Apple retail stores
    Carphone Warehouse stores.
    "

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You replace your broken iPhone and continue with the contract for the rest of the 18th months…
    or​

You don't replace your iPhone but you have to continue with the rest of the 18 months contract…

3. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply - is that the case in the UK? I cannot find any information on this subject on O2/Apple UK websites (and not much talk about it on MR either...).

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, that is with O2 in the Uk.
    You enter into an 18 month agreement… whether you lose or break your iPhone (in a way not covered by insurance or Apple Care) you are obliged to keep to the contract period. :eek:

Wise words! :)

6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, to confirm, I lose my iPhone and then would pay O2 £269, get another one and continue my 18month contract as if nothing had happened??

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes. Or you could buy it from Apple… or 2nd hand say on eBay… ;)
    But no one is going to replace the iPhone for you (unless you have replacement insurance) or let you off the contract period.
    It's like a gym membership… break a leg and they will say: "Tough… you still owe us for your contract period". :mad:

8. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

But to buy from Apple would mean another contract.

I think I'll give this whole iPhone thing a miss!!

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No it doesn't Apple don't automatically sign you up for a contract.

10. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

To be fair Joe, it would be the same way with any other carrier or any other phone. If you had a Blackberry for example and this happened, the results would not change.

If you want an iPhone, I say go for it. Just make sure nothing happens to it. I don't know about you, but when I drop $400 on a phone, I'm going to make dang sure no harm comes to it. ;)

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why? :confused::confused:
    Where does it say that?

If the iPhone is broken just replace the existing sim card.
    If it is lost O2 will charge you a fee to replce the sim.
    But no one will force you into a new contract.

If I buy a new 16GB iPhone I only have to swop the sim card… and continue with my contract. Doesn't matter whether I buy the new phone from Apple or O2 or privately.

See this link:

12. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

FWIW, AT&T didn't either when I bought mine the other day. Granted, I'm already a customer of theirs (been with Cingular for over a decade), but I was shocked when the sales guy said "okay, now you have to go home and activate this". I thought for sure they were going to fingerpint and ask for a urine sample. :D

*Edit - and I paid in cash.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Call Apple or AT&T and ask them as they would have the best answer

Unfort, barring an EXPENSIVE fix, I suspect you may need to either live with it or get a new one if it is broken bad enough

14. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to all for your replies and comments - it's great to have people so willing to help out.

Here is an email I received from O2 this morning:

"Thank you for emailing us to find out what would happen if you lose or break your iPhone.

If you lose or break your iPhone within your contract term and if you don't have an insurance cover for the iPhone, you can purchase another iPhone at full price and continue your contract.

The charge for the iPhone 8Gb (Gigabyte) is £269.00 and iPhone 16Gb is £329.00. You can purchase the iPhone from:

O2 retail stores
    Apple retail stores
    Carphone Warehouse stores.
    "

15. rambleon macrumors newbie

I guess I should really contact o2 regarding this, but can anyone tell me the main differences between getting iphone insurance from o2 and apple care?

Mainly:

1- cost?

2- exactly what is covered?

3- is it possible to sign up at any point during the contract?

I've had my iphone for about 2 months now and am considering getting one of these in the event of any accidents/disasters:eek: (I should say I haven't jailbroken/unlocked my iphone)

Thanks in advance

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

What are you going to do?

17. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm still not sure! That was my main concern but I still have others. Add up the cost of a 16GB iPhone and the monthly fee and you're looking at £959 over the course of the contract - and that's before any possible outside-contract call costs.

There's also the fact that, at the moment, I get a free Vodafone mobile from work - and I'd have to give that up...

I think I'll have to go to the O2 store and have a look/feel of it. And see if it's really worth selling my Touch and then forking out £959.