What if I buy an iPhone 3G S now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

When Apple releases a new one in June, will I be able to upgrade to that one? Like a trade-in, I guess...

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most likely not. You sign a contract. The 3G was upgradable because the first generation was not subsidized. AT&T caved in a tad to complaints with the 3GS, but you are somewhat out of the range of the complaints.

3. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

So I would have to sell it and buy a new one?

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Or you could (bows head and wiggles toe in the sand) simply keep it for two years.

(?)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well, you would have to likely pay more then those like me, who will have expiring contracts. It's extremely hard to say, AT&T threw two curveballs with the iPhone 3GS. First, the lack of unsubsidized pricing and then later by offering some sort of early upgrade option, both were relatively unexpected.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AT&T (if they are still around as Apple's EXCLUSIVE partner) will subsidize the iPhone for those within 6-8 months of their current contract expiring. It's another year and a half of contract and MONTHLY fees v. losing them to T-Mobile or others.....:eek::eek::eek:

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

Not gonna happen if you were to buy it now...
    but by the time most people sell their previous iPhone and pay the early upgrade price for the new one, it's not too pricey to do.

Or you could just wait another year.

8. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hmm interesting question...

Apple wants crazy figures when their new iPhone is announced. And they also seem to have very powerful influence.

But it is a gamble either way.

9. Nickday89 macrumors regular

you act as if next june/july is right around the corner

10. davyreins macrumors 6502

If you don't mind selling your 3G S when the new one comes out and you use that money towards the new phone then the amount you pay might be close enough to the subsidized for you to consider (probably more expensive though). I've never done this so maybe someone who sold their 3G to buy a 3G S could comment.

It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in to get the latest device, everybody is different.

11. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

it is

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No and search is your friend this has been asked 1000 times.

13. juswest macrumors regular

It's a year from now...A lot can happen in a year...Get the phone or keep waiting..Because when they release one next year...You'll be worried about the next one...

14. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I thought you were eligible to upgrade after one year with ATT.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Get it now if you want it and see what happens next summer. At that time, your phone should still do everything that it originally did. Then you can see what at&t will do about current owners and whether you qualify for subsidized pricing. Then you will be able to decide if it is worth upgrading to.

16. megadon macrumors 6502

wow, I'm on rogers, and it's crazy how much you guys get rapped by AT&T,

I was eligible to upgrade to 3gs from 3g, all I had to do was extend my contract to 3 years...

tethering is free if you have more than 2GB of data per month, MMS and all that stuff works fine too..

and also, any problems with the iphone, you call rogers, and they help you through there..and if it doesn't help, they just send you a refurbished phone and you send yours back..

17. PeterKG macrumors 6502

I upgraded in June, and am eligible in June 2010 for an upgrade again if Apple and AT&T follow the last two years upgrade model.

From AT&T Upgrade Status Page for me:

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing at a participating retail sales location. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 06/26/2010