What if I buy an iPhone today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jota73, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

If I buy an iphone today (applestore online) will it ship with the new firmware? Can I be sure that the one shipped has 1.0.2 firmarse instead of the latest 1.1.1?

Juan

2. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

If you are planning to hack it, you can 'downgrade' the firmware to 1.0.2

3. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I am going to laugh one day when all the hacked iPhones explode simultaneously around the world....

4. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

thanks, I will do a search and see how to do that.

5. Ketsjap macrumors newbie

baseband alert

Don't forget though, that it is currently still not possible to downgrade the baseband. That's the part of the iPhone u need to make calls, send sms-messages etc.

So basically, if you downgrade back to 1.0.2, you'll get an iPhone with the functionality of an iPod Touch.

To unlock a 1.1.1 iPhone, we'll have to wait a little longer for the iPhone dev team to complete their work...

6. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

wow!!

Si I will hold my back till all os possible... thanks for the clarification

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

iPhone dev team name reminds me of communist countries like the ol' GDR.

In the Cold War days all you had to do to find a communist country was look for "democratic" in the name of the country.

I suppose the idea is that if enough people keep using the name "iPhone dev team" people will start believing it.

Are they "completing their work" in their Cupertino offices?

8. Ketsjap macrumors newbie

I read your post twice but I still don't get your point. Maybe you don't even have a point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cant' see the word "Democratic" anywhere in "iPhone dev team".

As far as your "the iPhone dev team are Apple developpers"-insinuation goes, allow me to remind you that it is an open source project that even you can join, my dear conspiracy-loving friend..

9. audiomixer macrumors member

The one I received on the 2nd of October was shipped direct from China and came with 1.1.1 firmware. I also have an iphone with version 1.0.2 with the 3rd party apps installed and find that they are really not that big of a deal. Nice but not worth waiting for the 1.1.1 hack. Of course your location would make the latest firmware problematic.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

the poster means that the name "iPhone dev team" is very official sounding, i.e. from Apple but they clearly are not. just like communist countries have democratic as part of their name when they clearly are not.

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Its a gamble to see what firmware its going to come with. I would say if it comes with 1.1.1 wait till an unlock comes out. I have no doubt one will be available in the near future. If you downgrade to 102 you'll basically have an expensive iPod touch.

12. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

So Apple is going to tack on Democratic in their name now :D. The Apple "Democratic" Corporation

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think it's safe to say you couldn't have misunderstood my post more if you had tried to do so deliberately.

14. Ketsjap macrumors newbie

Well, enlighten me then!

15. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I think you have a better chance at getting a lower firmware by purchasing it at an AT&T store. I just think they probably don't move as quickly as they do in an Apple Store or Apple online.

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Perhaps I'm missing something but my understanding is that unless you are in the U.S.A. you cannot buy from Apple on line at the moment. You're in Bogota, Columbia aren't you?