what if i don't activate my iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by optimist123, Aug 13, 2010.

1. optimist123 macrumors newbie

so i went ahead and upgraded my iphone 3gs (which i've had for 2 months) to an iphone 4 (which i wanna unlock and give to someone as a gift). i payed $400 non-commitment on the condition that i renew my 2 year contract.
    what if i don't activate my iphone 4 by phoning AT&T, but instead insert a cut sim, jailbreak and unlock through wireless (i'm not sure that it's possible, but let's pretend it is), and use the iphone 4 without any restrictions?? will that be a violation to my contract (in this case i wouldn't have renewed my 2 year contract), and how will they know that i didn't activate it....
    thanks

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can do whatever you want with it, but you still need to pay the bill.

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

AT&T doesn't care, as you will be paying for it anyway over the two year period of your contract.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wether u activate, use it or throw it out the window.
    You already renewed your 2 year contract with AT&T.
    It has nothing to do with activating the sim inside the i4.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

How is it that you paid the non-commitment price if you had to renew your contract? Non-commitment means you don't have to renew or extend your contract.

6. frikfrak macrumors regular

this

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

This wasn't a non commitment price. This sounds like a "wasn't eligible for an upgrade so paid the "full" price/early upgrade price with a 2 year contract. It's not the full $600 but a reduced price for those who wish to buy the iphone 4 prior to be upgrade eligible.

He now has a contract and if canceled they will bill you for the new $350 ETF so your into the iphone for $750, not the best idea.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the $400 is not the full price. Its the early upgrade price that still ties you up to a 2 year agreement with AT&T.
    The full no contract price would be $599 and $699 for the 32GB.