What if I don't have a PIN? Activating iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stinkythe1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

I currently have service with Cellular South and am wanting to get an iPhone tomorrow but according to the activation requirements:

* Credit card
    * Social security number
    * Valid government-issued photo ID
    * Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

It says I need a PIN from my current provider, but I don't have one. Does that mean I just have to give them the account number or what? I've got a user name and password to login to my account online but that's not really a PIN.

Thoughts?

2. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

it's worth a shot but usually by default it's the last 4 of your social security number;)

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i thought this was jsut for people that were transfering their number or something..

can someone clear if this is so?

4. Stinkythe1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure that's only for people wanting to keep their number, like me.

5. S Brake macrumors regular

I think it is a pin or a password, I got mine by going to the t-mobile site and having them text the password to me.

6. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

ok thanx for that... i was hoping i wouldnt need something from my current phones plan because i intend on getting a new number as well as the new phone

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Then you don't need to worry about your old account at all. To AT&T you're a brand new wireless customer...not one transferring from another carrier. I wouldn't even mention you are on another carrier. Just say you want an iPhone and a new account. They'll process you as a completely new customer...as if you never had a wireless account in your life.

As for the OP....you need to have a PIN in order to authorize the number transfer. Without it anyone could attempt to transfer your number away from your current carrier. It's the only security measure in the system, but a very effective one. In order to keep your number, you need the PIN. Otherwise you'll be signed up as a brand new customer complete with a new number.