What if I get a new phone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iphone joe, Sep 11, 2015.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

If I get a new iPhone how do I sync it with my existing Apple Watch? Will all my watch settings be gone and I have to set up as new again?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You unpair it (which creates a most recent backup of the Watch in the iPhone), back up the old iPhone, restore the new iPhone from your backup, then re-pair your Watch to restore from the backup.

Also, make sure you check the box for "encrypted backup" if backing up in iTunes, assuming you want to preserve your activity/health data.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you. Considering 6s because my wife is looking at my 6 with strange eyes lately. :p

4. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

So you unpair it before backing it up?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, that creates a most recent backup of the Watch on iPhone before you back up the iPhone. The Watch backup is stored in the iPhone backup. Otherwise, you'll have to go the trouble of doing "Erase all contents and settings" on the Watch if you forget to unpair it before you restore the new iPhone.

6. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

Thanks for the help.

7. Mlrollin91, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Is the watch backup store in an iCloud backup? Assuming you unpair then backup to iCloud, or is it only an iTunes encrypted backup? I don't want to lose any of my achievements or health data. I really can't believe Apple hasn't made a simpler way to do this.

----

I contacted Apple Support. The procedure for iCloud is the same as encrypted iTunes. Unpair the watch, backup the phone, restore the phone backup to new phone, restore watch backup from phone and presto.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I believe iCloud backups are the same as an encrypted iTunes backup. Because isn't iCloud encrypted end to end?

But don't take that as fact just yet until more can confirm or not.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I just edited my original post, Apple Support has confirmed that the include procedure is the same as iTunes encrypted. All health data and achievements will be saved, but calibration data will be lost.