What if I lose my iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ingenioso, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ingenioso macrumors newbie

What if i lose my iphone 3g or it gets stolen. And my new phone doesn't require the dataplan. How do I get it removed?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Call up your provider and tell them what happened and get it removed.

3. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Yeah, they'll probably recommend you buy another iPhone at full price or another phone that takes advantage of the data plan such as the BlackBerry or BlackJack.

But if you really don't feel like it, they'll take the data plan off if you ask.

4. cdesigns macrumors 6502

Actually NO, he would probably have to keep the plan, because for you to get the iPhone 3G at the low price you have to make a contract for 2 years with a DATA PLAN. You will better paying the Early Termination Fee or keep the data plan.

If it wasn't like that, a lot of people would buy the iPhone at the low price and then resale it on ebay.

5. cdesigns macrumors 6502

Actually NO, he would probably have to keep the plan, because for you to get the iPhone 3G at the low price you have to make a contract for 2 years with a DATA PLAN. You will better paying the Early Termination Fee or keep the data plan.

If it wasn't like that, a lot of people would buy the iPhone at the low price and then resale it on ebay.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I agree, he would have to keep the plan or eat the fee. Sounds to me like the thread title should be "I want to sell my iPhone and don't want to keep paying for the data plan...can I make up a story about losing the phone?"

7. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Burn.

8. interesting macrumors member

Nah, you're just an ******.

9. maxxscholten macrumors regular

What a ridiculous assumption. I hate you.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Pretty simple choice. Buy another 3G at retail price. Pay the early termination fee. Or just keep paying for the plan you have now for the remainder of your contract.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

LOL. You "hate" some random dude you've never met/will never meet, over a comment made on a forum? Get a hobby.

12. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I'm allowed to hate someone on a forum for constantly putting people down.

13. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming this is different provider-to-provider but I bought an iPhone 3G, went home, called up AT&T Customer Service and said I didn't want to use the iPhone on the plan and I was giving it to a friend, they changed the phone associated with the account, no questions asked.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Cancel contract for $150. Sign contract for two-years and get iPhone for $199.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You CAN remove the data plan if you get a different phone. HOWEVER, there is a pretty good chance they could end up renewing your contract on you. Let me repeat, you CAN remove the data plan. End of story.

16. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

... And AT&T's policy is that you are allowed to change price plans at any time; the ETF generally comes into effect if you cancel your service entirely. Switching from one price plan (which coincidentally happens to include data) to another price plan (which coincidentally doesn't include data) while maintaining the same account, is not the same thing as canceling your service entirely.

AT&T (and its predecessor) used to have a policy of automatically renewing your contract whenever you made a change to your price plan. That policy has been reversed; As long as you make it clear that you do not want to extend your contract at the time you switch plans, the extension will not happen. (Your ability to opt for certain special promotional offers may be limited in that case.)

When it comes to the iPhone, AT&T's policy is that if you ever happen to be connected to their network using an iPhone, the data plan is mandatory. If AT&T ever discovers you are using an iPhone without the perscribed data plan, at AT&T's option, that plan may be automatically added to your account at any time without notice. They can tell, with a fairly trivial investigation, whether or not you're connected to their network with an iPhone. If you are not actively connected to their network using an iPhone, then the data plan is not mandatory. It's as simple as that.