What if I want to spend $20 on Mac Server Edition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Adamsappel, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Adamsappel macrumors regular

I want to set up calDAV and cardDAV on my Macbook Pro and sync data between that, my iPhone 5 and the iPad I am yet to purchase.

So although these are created as internet accounts, it works via local wireless sync instead?

If I set it up on my MBP+iPhone5, all I need is the $20 server OS and no extra machine or router?

Can this be a portable solution for travelling proffessionals?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I've never done that but I'm wondering if you'd be able to configure the OS X Server on a local-only basis...then use the MBP's Internet Sharing to connect the iPhone and iPad. It may be possible.

3. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

The solution critically needs to be independent of the internet.

This is why:
    There are over 7 billion people upon earth.
    Just over 2,4 billion have internet.
    Of that 2,4 billion, about a third have broadband access.
    Way less than a billion have reliable, uninterrupted services at affordable prices.
    Cloud-based computing in general is therefore not widespread.

Apple has a small global footprint yet a fair share of its user base are located in regions without practical broadband connectiviity. We bought Apple for its local sync, especially via tethering.

In global terms, iCloud users are by far a minority. If you live away from the USA, you soon realise how fragile and compromised the Intetnet is. Natural disasters, power outages, accidents and even terrorism/sabotage can and do interrupt connectivity. This post will travel 23,140km via a detoured undersea cable so that it can be saved on Apple's servers. It goes from the tip of Africa along the west coast up to the UK and from there across the Atlantic to the USA. The cables get severed and on our harbour there are two ships that have the immense task of maintaining these cables.

My USB cable is two feet long and works better and is not exposed to risk.

Until broadband works in practice across the globe, we cannot rely upon internet connectivity. Its is only good for email and browsing, not for handling copious amounts of data. Unless you are, of course, located where broadband actually works on practice.

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

5. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

Completely possible to do what you need to do, but it will be a nightmare to setup and manage unless you know what you are doing.

The problem is you need either a DNS/DHCP server, or your Macbook Pro needs to consistently have the same IP on your home network. Then you have to deal with your iPhone and your future iPad freaking out when it doesn't have access to your Macbook Pro server while you are away from home.

But I personally have my own CalDAV server that I run from my home for my personal use. So if you are interested and ready to deal with the issues, I'll help.

Or you can just wait for a few months for iTunes calendar/contact sync to return.

6. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks :cool: I just had another sync issue via iCloud (as well documented and discussed in :apple: official support forums) and decided to equip my next MBP with Sync-Mate and/or Companionlink. :)

7. ishark macrumors newbie

syncmate for Mav is only in beta wait for new itune version

8. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

........ and after installing it, my MBP would not allow ANY apps to run and it required a system restore to get the computer to run other apps. So Sync--Mate is best avoided now. Will see how Companionlink goes. It needs wifi which is an issue on my iPhone 5 ever since 7.05 and not even 7.1 fixed that.

----------

iTunes is still not restoring Notes sync. Thanks for the offer to help. I will bear this in mind when I get there. :)