What if iPad Pro is the new iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

The iPad 3 barely had enough hardware to run the Retina Display and is now one of the worst performing iPads in history.

Although the A9X seems like a beastly processor, does anyone think that because this is a first generation chip that needs to power that huge 12.9" display with the large resolution, it might actually become outdated quicker than usual? For example, the iPad 2 and 4 have tons of longevity because they were second generation products (iPad 2 compared to original iPad, iPad 4 compared to iPad 3). The Air 2 is also massively improved compared to the Air 1.

Is it best to wait for a second generation iPad Pro?

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

You mean iPad Air 2 with the A8X probably one of the best it will be very long lived. On the other hand the iPad Air 1 is the worst performance wise.

But i do like your theory killing off the 9.7 inch line and make people choose iPad Mini or iPad Air Pro hmmm...

3. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

No, it's not even close.

iPad Pro has roughly 1.8x more pixels than iPad Air 2 and is 1.6x times faster in CPU and (more importantly) 2x faster in GPU than iPad Air 2 (which was and still is a powerhouse).
    iPad 3 had the same CPU as iPhone 4s and only a 2x faster GPU, but the resolution of the display quadrupled compared to iPad 2.

iPad Air 2 is as powerful as PS3. iPad Pro is twice as fast.

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Really? I own a launch air first gen and it's been fantastic. Epic battery to this day and it's plenty fast, keeps right up with my 6 plus. In fact I felt it was so good I never even had the urge to get the air 2, and I usually blow my money on anything lol

5. newellj macrumors 601

Being an early adopter always has risks, but I don't think this is an iPad 3 situation, or maybe to be more accurate, an iPad (original/1) situation. I don't see the software becoming massively more demanding and burying the hardware.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If iPad Pro is not selling very well then iPad Air 3 will make a comeback next year.

7. newellj macrumors 601

I think it'll appear next spring anyway. The Pro is aimed at a different user.