What if iPhone 2.0 *is* the new iSight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CortexRock, May 19, 2008.

1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Just a thought, but what if there was some way the 'sure-to-be-improved' camera on iPhone 2.0 could double as an iSight camera when you're at your desk? (Assuming you don't have an iMac or MB/MBP).

Video and pictures could be streamed via wifi or from a docked iPhone via USB2.

Apple would probably spoil things by making it only work with iChat or something, but I think it's an idea worth considering.

Any thoughts people?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

4. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

I think there's an echo in here... lol.

Any reason you think it wouldn't happen, or just a feeling?

The camera technology is there, and if the tiny cameras in the iMac/MB/MBP can produce streamable quality video, why not the iPhone 2.0?

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

What if someone just wants an iSight, should they have to buy an iPhone as well.

6. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Fair point, but from a business point of view it makes sense - people who want iP2 will buy it anyway, and some people who might not have bothered might be swayed by the extra option.

You can't buy a standalone iSight any more (at least not a new one), so this could be the next best thing.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The market for standalone iSights is declining as the number of computers without them still in use declines.

8. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not suggesting anyone would go out and buy an iPhone purely to use as a webcam/iSight, but if it had that extra functionality, wouldn't it make some people more likely to buy it?

And there are still lots of Mac Mini and Mac Pro users out there who might like a webcam, but can't use a PC one because of driver issues.

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Someone restart him... :cool: lol

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Must be running windows :p

Umm i think it would be a very cool thing to be able to do but i dont think it would the primary think you would buy an iPhone for though :) just an extra thing it could be used for.

11. Moria macrumors regular

I really can't see anyone buying the iPhone over another phone because you can also use it as a webcam. The majority of webcams now work well on both Macs and Windows.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, this wouldn't happen. If you take a pic with an iPhone it can sync back to iPhoto so... is that your new iSight maybe?

But no. There won't be a "live feed". No.