What If: iPhone 5 w/Push To Talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankster, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'm a fireman. Back in the day, 2000-2007, almost every fireman had a Nextel phone. The Push To Talk feature was used all the time, more than talking on the phone. The functionality was great for easy communication between select groups of people. I'm sure it's not a feature everyone would use, but it'd be interesting if it were implemented on the iPhone some how.

Of course, the idea isn't very plausible since the feature must be available on the provider side and not just on the phone. Though...didn't ATT have a Push To Talk feature at one point around 2007/2008? Regardless, as unlikely as it is...would be cool to see it :)

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

GSM does not have PTT functionaliy. You would need MiKE service.

3. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

some verizon phones had push to talk so perhaps a verizon iphone would have it. although i highly doubt it simply because PTT hasnt been used in like 5 years. ill admit i did have a nextel back in 2003. now that i think about it i kinda miss my i95cl

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes, for approx 2 years AT&T offered 3 models of Motorola phones with push to talk. While they were offered in the stores, their big push was contractors and construction companies. They did quite well for a time.

5. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'm not sure if ATT was on EDGE or whatever, but they did have a Push To Talk feature for a while.

I loved my Nextel phone, they were cool looking too :)

I do recall several phones having the feature, guess it never sold as well as Nextel phones did. Though, I recall ATT got sued over the feature because it wasn't true Push To Talk. I believe ATT was recording the message and playing it back, and there was some very fine line about not being able to record customer's conversations. And, I think it was still Cingular who had these phones was it not? Before ATT bought it over.