What if iPhoneX indicates a return to an iPhone being 1 size?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Wouldn't it be great if iPhoneX was an indication Apple want to return to a one size iPhone for future iPhones (maybe 2018). No more choosing between pocketability or screen size and no more Apple holding back features for the bigger phone.

This would save Apple a lot of money as well having much better economies of scale with a single phone, single production line, single camera package etc

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wouldn't it be great if iPhoneX was an indication Apple want to return to a one size iPhone for future iPhones (maybe 2018). No more choosing between pocketability or screen size and no more Apple holding back features for the bigger phone.

This would save Apple a lot of money as well having much better economies of scale with a single phone, single production line, single camera package etc
Bigger phone... bigger price. Same way the Plus models helped boost the average sale price of iPhones.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I wouldn't be surprised that we have seen the last of the home button and iPhones with bezels. Maybe next year there will be 2 iPhone sizes. iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Plus. Bezel free, no home button, and a larger screen larger than 6 inches. Perhaps the overall size of the screen close to the current size of the 8 Plus.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010

Fortunately, I think there’s little chance of that.
One size doesn’t fit all. It’s definitly a good thing that Apple gives people choice.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I guess I am in the minority that believes there will NOT be a XS+ next year. I feel like Apple made the X in between the size of the regular and the Plus in order to streamline the brand while compromising between the portability that the regular crowd craves and the large screen that the Plus crowd wants.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I guess I am in the minority that believes there will NOT be a XS+ next year. I feel like Apple made the X in between the size of the regular and the Plus in order to streamline the brand while compromising between the portability that the regular crowd craves and the large screen that the Plus crowd wants.
They need a size to compete with the Note.

Reactions: cwosigns

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'd be somewhat thrilled but I think they should maybe make a not size device perhaps. I feel like the iPhone size is becoming the next remote control where people are envious of people with bigger more advanced looking remote controls.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
But the Plus phones have gained greater and greater popularity each year since their debut, proving that many people are fine with that size. Not to mention competitor phones like the Note line which are just as big and now offer even larger screens due to lack of bezels. “Phablets” aren’t going anywhere, and Apple is not going to just walk away from that growing segment of the smartphone market.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I don’t care if they make a plus size next year, as long as they stop only offering premium features in the larger size. One of the reasons I’m so thrilled with the X is that I can finally get the best camera, the best screen, the best features period, in a size that works for me.

I’m aware that others may prefer the larger sizes, and they should have that option, but treating those of us who prefer non-Plus phones as second class citizens sucks, and I’m sick of it.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I hadn't been keeping up with the hype prior to the X announcement so forgive me if I missed a supply issue or something but...then why didn't the X come in two sizes already? If it's such a big market then why did Apple drop the ball? Honestly I think it was absolutely insane for them to release the 8/+ mere weeks before the much anticipated X so maybe I've long since fallen off the Apple logic train but it just seems stupid to me that if Apple cared so much about the Note-competitor...why did they fail to create a size based Note-competitor? My guess is that the SE becomes the small option, X becomes the large option and some sanity is restored to the line up.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I don’t care if they make a plus size next year, as long as they stop only offering premium features in the larger size. One of the reasons I’m so thrilled with the X is that I can finally get the best camera, the best screen, the best features period, in a size that works for me.

I’m aware that others may prefer the larger sizes, and they should have that option, but treating those of us who prefer non-Plus phones as second class citizens sucks, and I’m sick of it.

That will probably happen in terms of what today's "premium" features are since the current gen X will end up being the smaller device, but it'd be kinda dumb for them to ignore all the extra space they have on the hypothetical larger X-style phone and not cram in extra stuff like, say, Apple Pencil capability.

It's like the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro. If you don't like the 15" size you're out of luck for quad core+GPU - but gimping it so customers that are okay with the larger size end up with dual core and intel graphics would be awful strategy, when the clear use for the larger laptop is not only the larger screensize but the extra hardware that becomes possible at that size. iPhone Plus buyers are looking for a more productive device in exchange for having to deal with it being a bigger size. My plus has more powerhouse cameras originally made possible by the extra chassis volume, a larger battery for more reliability during heavy days, more RAM for better multitasking and the more pixel-dense, bigger screen. They're selling a different experience based on how much device you can tolerate bringing with you - it's not only screen size that drives the creation of these phones.

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
Plus size is so 1990

It’ll be called iPhone Fabulous

I like big phones I and can not lie.

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017

AMEN! AMENx1000. I loves the 4.7 but hated the gimped camera features especially when the 7 dual camera happened. but I been dealing with less ram, less screen Rez since the 6....

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I don't disagree with you, but I think this is how this company operates in someways. If and when they offer at 6.4 iPhone next year, I believe it likely will have features are capabilities over the 5.8 OLED model. Mainly because they want to sell the most premium features to the larger, more expensive device. And they want to give the consumer a reason to why they would want the largest device they offer.

Reactions: balaplus

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I don't disagree with you, but I think this is how this company operates in someways. If and when they offer at 6.4 iPhone next year, I believe it likely will have features are capabilities over the 5.8 OLED model. Mainly because they want to sell the most premium features to the larger, more expensive device. And they want to give the consumer a reason to why they would want the largest device they offer.
Hopefully Samsung will keep making jabs at Apple in their presentations until it becomes bad PR for Apple not to put the same cameras in both.