What if it fails?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Epikuros, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Epikuros macrumors member

Hi,

I am a student living in a small dorm room with nothing but this awful, $200 laptop that, while less than six months old, seems to be on its last legs, and won't do simple word processing or surfing without strenuous protest.

I've just rearranged my room and found I have space on my desk for a monitor and keyboard, I could just about fit in an 'all-in-one' machine, I reckon.

I'll be able to scrape together enough for the cheapest of these new iMacs, but one thing bothers me slightly about the new design: what to do if there is hardware failure? I'm guessing they'll fix any problem during the first year under guarantee, but what if something happens during the second year, can I turn it in somewhere?

I'm guessing my laptop is acting up partly because something might have happened to it's hard drive (sometimes it loads Windows and nothing else, requiring a hard boot). Hard drives often go bad, but with the iMac, it doesn't really look like you could just buy a normal hard drive and jam it in there.

It would be really a shame if I had to throw away an entire machine because the disc failed after 18 months.

Anyone in the know about how this works? Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Scrape together enough for AppleCare ($200) by the end of the first year and you can purchase two more years of protection.

3. Josh220 macrumors regular

Apple care, and keep frequent backups. Should keep you covered and stress free.

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Interesting that people are so quick to point out that AppleCare is practically a necessity. It's too bad that people are so compliant with Apple's unserviceable approach.

For shame.

5. Josh220 macrumors regular

Just a suggestion for the overly cautious/nervous. I have never purchased any type of insurance on my purchases, Apple included. The amount I have saved by not purchasing Applecare alone would easily pay for a replacement should any of my items ever spontaneously explode.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Personally, I don't like the 21.5" partly because I think its poorly spec'd for a machine 7 months late to the party but also because I think its going to be very difficult to service. I could be wrong but that is just my intuition. For those that want it, AppleCare is, most regrettably, necessary. It probably is Apple's biggest profit center %'age wise.

7. Epikuros thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for the swift replies.

That seems to be a genuine drawback, to have to pay a $200 insurance, while there are many tech stores replacing faulty components for traditional desktops without insurance.

Well, I guess that is worth keeping in mind. I'll go ahead with this simply because I need it, and in 12 months I hope I am in a place where I have $200 to spare - or it would have been an expensive 12 months of computing.

I'll keep this thread open for a day or so to see if anyone has anything more to say.

Thanks again.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Keep an eye on ifixit.com to see the teardown and how easy or difficult repair will be.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Applecare will have you covered from what I hear. I had a $300 netbook which served me well but nothing like what my mini can do. It actually ran quite well I felt considering it had only an Atom processor and 1 GB of RAM (less with the integrated graphics) but yeah you should be fine.

10. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    Great advice.

However, if he/she is a student then they will get AppleCare for much cheaper than that.

In the UK, AppleCare for an iMac with uni discount is something ridiculous like £46!

Note that the AppleCare has to be bought with the Mac (at the same time) to get this deal.

Amazing deal, and an absolute no brainer ...

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That is a super deal! OP take note and do this! Don't forget to sell your iMac before the AC expires to get maximum value.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

you're a student: applecare for the 21"iMac is only $119

13. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

instead of brand new, take a look at Apple Refurb store online.
    It comes with same 1 year warranty and are very much checked over.

14. Epikuros thread starter macrumors member

With that kind of markdown it'd be a done deal. It remains to be seen if Swedish students get the same treatment. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

15. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Wish i had taken out apple care....imacs always fail after 14 months. :(

16. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you ;)

17. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

If you live in Europe, you don't need to be so worried about the whole 1 year warranty nonsense.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

That said, my iMac is now three years old and still going strong.

18. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

What a ludicrous statement, "iMacs always fail after 14 months". Out of all the hundreds of thousands iMacs sold, they all fail after 14 months? C'mon!

19. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Applecare isn't just extended warranty. It also includes tech support for the computer, Mac OS, and the included applications if you need it. This is a very nice feature for anyone who is just starting with computers or Macs. When you can't figure out how to do something, just ask Apple. If you ever buy a Mac for your parents or grandparents, getting them Applecare will save you HOURS! ;)

Unlike many other computer companies, I've found Apple's tech support to be first rate.

In the USA, you can generally buy just warranty coverage from other companies for cheaper than Applecare, without the tech support feature.