Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodgyno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
What is Mac/ Apple had a stand alone gaming console to compete with the PS3 and 360 so that we wouldn't have to worry about the YLOD or the RROD, it just works. Would anyone be interested in such a system? I know I would. Bluray, large hard drive, motion controller....etc. Would anyone be interested in that?

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Not really. My PS3 is still alive. I think Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have too much experience with consoles to totally fail and fall flat like Sega did, but you never know.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The problem is not the hardware, most of the hardware is quite standard (beside a few things like the cell processor). But what counts is the software. Yes Apple would make a great UI and it would be slick, but they don't have the gaming clout behind them, no big name hits that are funded by Sony or MS.

BUT I think we are seeing the sleeper console pop up, and fill a niche that no one else has taken yet. The casual gamer. Is there a market for a gaming console that has many of the same features of the big boys but designed for people who are not hard core gamers? Some may say the Wii is one, but that really is more for the younger crowd although some games are mature.

What I think we have now is a console that is for the casual gamers and for instant gratification. A console where you don't need to leave your seat to play new games. Imagine if you will, a console with the game library like the iPod Touch / iPhone; available to you at an instant for instant purchases and instant playing. Games that range in the $4.99 to $9.99 range, but many cheaper, and a few higher. Maybe the games are not as complex, or indepth, but fun none-the-less. May I introduce to you, the new, AppleTV. Apple's entry into the console market.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
The problem is not the hardware, most of the hardware is quite standard (beside a few things like the cell processor). But what counts is the software. Yes Apple would make a great UI and it would be slick, but they don't have the gaming clout behind them, no big name hits that are funded by Sony or MS.

BUT I think we are seeing the sleeper console pop up, and fill a niche that no one else has taken yet. The casual gamer. Is there a market for a gaming console that has many of the same features of the big boys but designed for people who are not hard core gamers? Some may say the Wii is one, but that really is more for the younger crowd although some games are mature.

What I think we have now is a console that is for the casual gamers and for instant gratification. A console where you don't need to leave your seat to play new games. Imagine if you will, a console with the game library like the iPod Touch / iPhone; available to you at an instant for instant purchases and instant playing. Games that range in the $4.99 to $9.99 range, but many cheaper, and a few higher. Maybe the games are not as complex, or indepth, but fun none-the-less. May I introduce to you, the new, AppleTV. Apple's entry into the console market.

I think you are correct about the iPod Touch/iPhone. My friend just recently discovered some of the games on there and she has been hooked. She's playing it with her nephews and nieces and are enjoying these casual games as well. However, I highly doubt the Apple TV can do what the iPhone/iPod Touch did because theres no way to get multiple users to interact with it. With the iPod Touch/iPhone, you can have 2 people touch the screen to connect via wifi, but how is that problem solved with the Apple TV?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Apple TV COULD evolve in a sort of gaming console. Streaming games. Instead of inserting a DVD or BR disc into your console, games will run on servers. For the gamer, it will be completely transparent, though.

Actually, I live in Belgium and one of the biggest providers (Skynet, no pun intended) is currently running a series of tests in this respect. All depends on broadband availability of course, but that's no problem here.

That said, I'd take a DS over an iPod Touch anytime, and even if Apple launched a console next week, I'd still buy a 360.
Resistence is NOT futile, Apple, I will not be assimilated !

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
The machine would never have a Blu-ray drive, it'd all be linked into iTunes and games would be stored internally.

I certainly think that a future version of the :apple:tv could evolve into a game console. However, Apple would need full support from Sega, Capcom, Konami, EA (shudder) and other large developers.

It's something I'd certainly like to see as there really aren't many companies out there that could release a machine to compete with the X360 and PS3. And Panasonic seem to have lost the plot slightly with the 'Jungle' console.

I'd buy it as long as there's a decent arcade stick available, good online community and a future version of BlazBlue I can pwn with.

:apple:

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
My ps3 has "just worked" for quite some time now, as well as my ps2, my wii, my gamecube, and every other console I have owned. I see no reason to buy specifically designed gaming console just because it's made by apple. The only difference in experience they could provide would be through software, as others have said, and they'd have a long ways to go to catch up to the console giants such as microsoft/sony/nintendo. My TE stick would need to work with it as well :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I think apple are concentrating more on mobil gaming with the iToys.
apple-bandai-pippin.jpg

I believe apple made this sometime in the 90's and it fell flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.