What if MacBook will No Longer Detect Battery??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MaxMike, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I am about to buy a MacBook off of a different forum, but the description says that the battery no longer takes a charge, but the seller usually just uses it on AC power. I know that this could just be a case of the battery at the end of its life (its a Core Duo BlackBook), but what if the connector has gone bad? Does anyone know how much the Genius Bar will charge me if the connector has gone bad and has to be replaced?? :confused:

Edit: He says that the cycle count in About This Mac -> Power is 0. Is this definite that the connector is defective?

2. jbuk macrumors regular

If the connector is bad, then I believe the MacBook wouldn't accept that there is a battery present at all, and then it would underclock the processor to half speed. Also, the menu bar icon for the battery would show a cross or exclamation mark or something.

Also, check what the MacBook claims the full charge capacity is. If it's 65335, then the battery is defective, and Apple would replace it for free if the machine were still under warranty. (this happened with me)

3. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

The guy said that he took it down to a shop and the connector to the logic board is bad. He said that the part is $10, plus $75 for the labor. I could replace the part myself, but I don't want the damage the board. But all in, it would cost me around $770 for the computer, new battery, and the connector. Meanwhile, I can get a brand new MacBook at my local microcenter for $800, so I'm gonna pass up that sale.