What if my country dosent use 4G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VinceDae, Mar 6, 2012.

1. VinceDae macrumors regular

Hi all...

I have a question which I hope one of you can answer :) - I live in Denmark (Scandinavia) and we are not on 4G yet... :(

So my Q is, what will happen if iPad 3 comes with 4G? - Can I still use normal simcard to get 3G? or am I just out of luck?

Thanks guys :)

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The US isn't 100% 4G. Therefore...

4. eikast macrumors member

If the at&t iPad 3 has an unlocked simcard (which it should since at&t does not subsidize them), then you can purchase it and use it in Denmark with 3G (i'm assuming HPSA+).

5. VinceDae thread starter macrumors regular

Here in Denmark we just get them unlocked :) - But thanks for a good answer :)

6. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I'm curious as to whether Apple would release a 4G model and a 3G model for countries who don't use 4G/aren't getting it before the next iPad launch.

7. Guacamole macrumors regular

what if I have a 3g model from the UK and I'm travelling to the US? can I buy a sim in the US and be able to use on my Ipad like I've done with my Iphone?
    I don't want roaming charges, that's why I'd rather get a sim in the US but I don't know now with this 4g:confused:

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

If the current rumors are to be believed, there will be 2 separate iPad models for AT&T, and Verizon that support each networks LTE bands, and then a separate model that supports regular 3G for Europe, and Asia.

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Playing devil's advocate here I'm going to put forth the idea that there will be no LTE support in this iPad. It will just have two vesions, wifi and a 3G model that has the same multi carrier chip that the 4S has.

Well, we'll all know in about 3-4 hours at this point anyway.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes you can.

I can turn 3G off on my iPhone and it uses the same SIM to connect to 2G.

11. Nightprowler macrumors regular

There should be backwards compatibility, because I don't think any carrier anywhere has 100% coverage of their highest speed service. They usually concentrate on urban centers then work out from there, but before they can cover the rural areas there's already a newer higher speed service rolling out in the cities.

12. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

I dont see why they would bring out a 4G iPad. Not only is not all of America 4G yet but there is pretty much no other country with 4G support yet. It just seems like it is going to raise the price of the 3g iPad by using a 4G chip for a few whinging people in the city who want faster speeds.