Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New Iphone 4.0 or jailbroken 3GS?

• Yes, i still want the new Iphone

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No, ill keep my jailbroken 3GS

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

3gbuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Hypothetically, the new Iphone has alot of new features, looks amazing, has flash support but Apple found a way to never allow a jailbreak...

Would you still purchase one or keep your 3G(S)?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nothing is unhackable.
If one man can make it another man can take it apart and expose its weakness.
Who cares about flash support. I dont need any more flash adds sucking down by cellphones battery.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
If I get the new iPhone (that's definitely a big "if"), I would definitely wait until someone jailbreaks it. The jailbroken 3GS is perfect as of right now, and I just can't see myself downgrading to something that may not have backgrounding or an app switcher like Kirikae.

And I am definitely not going to mess around with a tethered jailbreak. Ever

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
If I get the new iPhone (that's definitely a big "if"), I would definitely wait until someone jailbreaks it. The jailbroken 3GS is perfect as of right now, and I just can't see myself downgrading to something that may not have backgrounding or an app switcher like Kirikae.

And I am definitely not going to mess around with a tethered jailbreak. Ever

+1 on all counts!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Who cares if it has 3G, I don't need the faster radio running my battery down.

Or... it could be a toggle, like 3G.

To me Flash is not important at all. Nowhere near as 3G speeds compared to Flash support.
If it was an option I'd leave it to off or wouldnt install it at all.
But seeing how S. Jobs keeps hating on flash I dont see them bothering with it all.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The next one will be JB, That's why Geohot hasn't released the fix for an untethered JB for the 3g S⃣ new botrom. That way when the new one comes out he can release the expoit, instead of having apple fixing it now. But if apple use all new hardware that might be a different story.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Poll is meaningless until we find out what is going to be in 4.0. At this point, the only valid poll would be "Are you going to upgrade to the next iPhone regardless of what features it does/doesn't come with?"

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
The next one will be JB, That's why Geohot hasn't released the fix for an untethered JB for the 3g S⃣ new botrom. That way when the new one comes out he can release the expoit, instead of having apple fixing it now. But if apple use all new hardware that might be a different story.

What you say is most likely true of the Dev Team, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Geohot being involved...

geohot said:

He seems to have moved on to the PS3 without any regret. I suppose it's possible that the allure of the new iPhone will suck him back in, but if that's the case, he's sure hiding it well...

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
What you say is most likely true of the Dev Team, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Geohot being involved...

What makes you say that? Geohot has a 3rd gen ipt untethered (new botrom). He was the first person in the world with an unlocked iphone, well because he was the first person to hack it and not to mention he was first to release a JB for 3.0 after he got tired of waiting on the dev-team.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
What makes you say that?

Um, the 10 tweets from my post where he repeatedly and expressly denied any interest in working on an untethered jailbreak. It was actually the bulk of what I posted.

Geohot has a 3rd gen ipt untethered (new botrom).

This is a rumor based on a dodgy interpretation of one tweet of his, and even on the off-chance it's true, he's pretty clearly stated his intention not to release anything. Again, he covered this pretty thoroughly in the tweets I quoted.

He was the first person in the world with an unlocked iphone, well because he was the first person to hack it and not to mention he was first to release a JB for 3.0 after he got tired of waiting on the dev-team.

This is all true, but largely irrelevant for predicting his future actions, given his much more recent and repeated insistence that he will not be working on further releases for the iPhone in the near future. I'm really not sure how much clearer he could have been.

Of course, he hasn't said anything about the next generation of hardware/software, so (like I said in my post) it's entirely possible he'll get back into the scene with the next iPhone. But the reception he got after jailbreaking the 3G Touch and 3GS ("WHERE'S MY UNTETHERED GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!! :mad::mad::mad:") did a thorough enough job of turning him off to the iPhone userbase that none of us should be surprised if he stops developing for the platform for good. It would be a shame and a horrible loss to the iPhone community, and I really hope he'll be involved again with the next generation of jailbreaking software, but my point was just that it's about as far from certain as you can get.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Yes. I know he's not going to release an untethered JB for the new botrom and I'm glad, because the next iPhone is only months away from being released and I personally don't want to have to wait for a new exploit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.