iPhone What if phone becomes completely unresponsive under warranty?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by c0venant, Sep 27, 2012.

1. c0venant macrumors regular

I am going to buy an iPhone 5 next month and I have never jailbroken any device before, this is all completely new to me so I'd like to learn a bit more about the risks:

if during the next 2 years my phone for some reason becomes damaged/unresponsive to the point it doesn't turn on at all and, therefore, a full restore through iTunes not being possible, if I take it to a store to get it replaced will they find out it's jailbroken? I'd love to enjoy the perks of a jailbroken device and still be able to take advantage of the warranty if the phone gets broken for some reason (hopefully not).
    Would they replace a completely broken phone without using methods to find out what kind of stuff I have installed in it?

thank you.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Except for sudden hardware failure, iDevices can always be restored to working order.

3. c0venant thread starter macrumors regular

I know they can be, but what if you can't even turn the phone on? what if it simply stops working? are they still able to find out if it's jailbroken?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Not in the Apple store.
    They would just replace it.

5. c0venant thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not buying through the Apple Store though :/ I guess I can only hope the phone doesn't have such problems during the next two years.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt matter where you buy it from.
    Any Apple device goes in for warranty service at Apple.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

People tend to make that mistake a lot for some reason. I don't know why they would think otherwise.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I saw some girl the other week trying to bring back her iphone 4 to Walmart and get it exchanged cause it had some issue.
    I was like WTF?:D