iPad What if the iPad 2 CAN'T be jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Deadlocked, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Deadlocked macrumors member

What the title says. What will happen then ? Me personally I'd be very unhappy, jailbreaking is what makes the iPhone/iPad so good. Would you guy's sell your iPad 2's and get an iPad 1 ? CAN the iPad 2 be even jailbroken?

Seems to me that this jailbreak is taking a super long time.

What do you guy's think?

P.S - Most likely if they can't jailbreak the iPad 2, then IF the iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th Gen come out later this year they won't be jailbreakable because they'll all be using the A5 & pretty much same internals.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

Since i still own an iPad 1, I find myself using it more due to the fact that my iPad 2 isn't jailbroke. i'm sure a jailbreak will come around in the near future.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

No such thing as can't. Period. No code is without flaw. Give them time and a jailbreak will be created. It is a new peice of hardware. It is normal that it will take a while to find a hole.

4. Deadlocked thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, theirs only so much that can be done with the iPad 2 compared to the 1.

It seems like Apple did a pretty good job leaving no exploits in their path to be found.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

True. But as dalton63841 said, just give it some time.

6. celticpride678

Or they just patched all the known ones and know the iPhone Dev Team has to find new ones.

7. Zermelo macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F191 Safari/6533.18.5)

This question is completely stupid and ignorant since the iPad 2 has already been jail broken by comex the 2nd day it came out. He just never publicly released it. So we know there's a vulnerability there. Moreover other jailbreaks have taken longer.

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

+1 OP needs to learn how to read/search. It was jailbroken March 13th.

9. Homertherat macrumors newbie

I believe he was referring to a publicly released jailbreak. Comex's jailbreak is not that jailbreak, at least at this point.

I am surprised that it has been this long, though.

10. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Maybe the op did research and knows comex can't release his jailbreak due to legal reasons and he may never release that particular jailbreak.

11. Deadlocked thread starter macrumors member

Is that jailbreak in the hands of the public? no. That jailbreak can't be distributed because it contains apple code. I suggest that you Google it :)

Anyway I haven't seen any real updates on twitter by any of the Dev's really stating what stage they're with the iPad 2 jailbreak (if there is/will be one).

What's everyone doing meanwhile untill IF and when the iPad 2 jailbreak?

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Well, as Jailbreaking (the device kind) has been found to be legal (at least in the US), there shouldn't be a legal restriction.

I know there are a lot of folks that swear by Jailbreaking, but I have yet to find anything compelling about it. Yeah, I can tweak springboard and change my icons... its not worth the problems, instability, and headaches of jailbreaking.

Most of my support questions end up coming from people who jailbroke their iPad and messed it up. Worse, after working on the problem I find out they're using an older version of the App they got for free from some pirate site. LOL

13. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Oh, well, if they'd distributing someone else's code that would be an issue. :rolleyes:

If they have the code, they could probably reverse engineer it though. So it's probably a just matter of time.

14. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

15. Siggen, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Siggen macrumors 6502

Yes your right, distributing someone else's copyrighted code is illegal, and thats why distributing comex jailbreak would be illegal to distribute (but not to use), at least for the time being.

On the other hand, reverse engineering code isn't straight forward, sure There are ways to decompile, but that does not allways work, prone to errors and might not be possible at all in some cases. My guess is that comex id trying to wright his own code from scratch as a replacement. I dont know.

We will probably get the iPad 2 jailbreak soon. In the near future, but i have no way to know for sure. The only thing i know is that ignorant people believe all new iDevices to be totally unjailbreakable untill a jailbreak gets released. Just like the old Egyptian faraho's were said to be immortal untill someone killed them.

16. Cheetablaze macrumors member

Xoom = garbage. I'd go with the samsung or ASUS. I only bought the iPad 2 because of the app support and jailbreak. No jailbreak means no free apps, not very good at all. Patience please!

17. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't disagree more. iPhone/iPad are good period. Jailbreaking is just the icing on the cake. I LMFAO at these people who claim the iPad2 is "unusable" or a "paperweight" without a jailbreak. If they just mean they can't pirate apps, then fair point I suppose but I don't really care about those types of people.
    Just be patient & it will come along soon enough. (I am waiting for it too btw!)

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes: Heaven forbid you not be able to take what someone else creates and opts to sell!

Honestly, pirating like this is the one negative about jailbreaking. If it weren't for that, Apple would have few,if any, legit reasons to oppose jailbreaking or side loading apps.

19. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Piracy/Installous/etc is the single biggest thing holding back the legit jailbreak community.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ What's sad is that people are willing to spend $500 on the hardware, but some folks would rather pirate an app that costs $1.99 than purchase it - depriving small developers of any revenue stream what so ever for their work.

I'm sure if you ask the same folks who pirate apps if they'd be willing to work for a week without being payed - they would soon protest.

21. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

That's not the point. The OP didn't ask if there would be a public jailbreak released. He asked if the ipad 2 could be jailbroken. Which it can. It already has been. That answer's the OP's question. It can be jailbroken.

Just because you personally can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible. :rolleyes:

22. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Like Mickey from Rocky said "There ain't no can'ts!"

But if they really are unable to jailbreak it, I'll kill myself and the dev-team will have a life on their hands. Sike.

Just give the guys time, it took forever to jailbreak iPod Touch 2 but they did it.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The time where iOS can't be jailbroken is getting closer and closer. Of course there is no such thing as "never", but the difficulty of finding a flaw in iOS plus the timing of releasing a jailbreak that is a couple of updates behind will slow down the interest. That's the one thing I dislike, finally getting a jailbreak but inevitably Apple releases an iOS update that has something I need and I have to agonize over going back to vanilla or living without that feature.

It's a huge shame, but it's the way Apple wants it.

24. Siggen macrumors 6502

You know, every time a major update with lots of features is released, lots of new security flaws are added as well?

When i got the iPhone 3G, lots of devs were working on it, putting their heads together, now for the iPad 2, i think its only like 2 or 3 major hackers at work... We just have to wait...

If you want to help, start buying a usb sniffer, and learn dessembling, decompiling, reverce engineering and start sniffing arround :3 (not as easy as it may seam)

25. dacalo macrumors member

I hope your employer doesn't pay you.