iPad What if the Ipad 9.7 and Mini merged?

longhorn2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Looking at my 9.7, the display itself is similar to the external dimensions of the Mini. Split the size difference and Apple will have a new product that's smaller size externally than the present 9.7 and small enough to entice Mini owners ( whatever small number that may be) while keeping the similar 9.7's screen.

The question is how to make such a product at the same 9.7 price point for the present Apple Ipad customer, School Districts and Companies to buy in bulk.

Last edited:

JLD94

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
Looking at my 9.7, the display itself is similar to the external dimensions of the Mini. Split the size difference and Apple will have a new product that's smaller size externally than the present 9.7 and small enough to entice Mini owners ( whatever small number that may be) while keeping a similar 9.7's screen.

The question is how to make such a product at the same 9.7 price point for the present Apple Ipad customer, School Districts and Companies to buy in bulk.

Seems logical to me....similar external size to the mini yet maybe slightly smaller than the 9.7 in actual screen size. They haven't updated the mini in 3 years or more right? Anyway...not sure how you would give it a new form factor and still be the 'cheaper' model other than having last gen processor....

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I assumed the mini would be updated alongside the regular 9.7” ipad this March. But you raise an interesting question. Ming Chi Kuo says the mini will be updated. I wonder if it will have Apple Pencil support. And speaking of pencil support, will Apple keep producing TWO pencil models? That seems odd. And if not, will Apple then update the next regular ipad and ipad mini with the same design as the current ipad pros? So they can wirelessly charge the new pencil? And if they shrunk the bezels on the regular ipad and the mini, would they do what they did with the 11” & 12.9”? Keep the regular ipad screen 9.7” but in a smaller sized ipad? And the mini in the same size but increase the screen size from 7.9” to 8.5”? Or would they combine the two like the OP suggested? Hmmm.

Reactions: sonicrobby

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think it could make sense, but they would likely be eliminating that low price point with a new pro style design. Maybe $499 is the sweet spot? They are upping prices everywhere so it probably is inevitable. $499, $799, and $999 - all in the current style, 9.7, 11, and 12.9.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Is there something in the air? This is the 2nd thread created today on the same/similar topic. :eek::rolleyes:

My answer here is the same as there: no. Producing something in between the Mini and 9.7 iPad would be the worst of both worlds... too large to be pocketable, too small for what the 9.7 is used for.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

JLD94

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
I assumed the mini would be updated alongside the regular 9.7” ipad this March. But you raise an interesting question. Ming Chi Kuo says the mini will be updated. I wonder if it will have Apple Pencil support. And speaking of pencil support, will Apple keep producing TWO pencil models? That seems odd. And if not, will Apple then update the next regular ipad and ipad mini with the same design as the current ipad pros? So they can wirelessly charge the new pencil? And if they shrunk the bezels on the regular ipad and the mini, would they do what they did with the 11” & 12.9”? Keep the regular ipad screen 9.7” but in a smaller sized ipad? And the mini in the same size but increase the screen size from 7.9” to 8.5”? Or would they combine the two like the OP suggested? Hmmm.
I really don't know how well the mini sells... but I'm assuming it's not great since they haven't updated it... but sells enough that they still keep it around. It would be nice if they did something like you mention change the screen size a little while keeping similar dimensions on the mini and do something similar with the 9.7....go to a 10.0 or something.

My only thing is how do you keep the price down....what features do you leave out to make it 'unpro'? No laminated screen...lower RAM and older processor? Would that be enough to keep the current price points or what else could cut the price? It seems like eventually they would want to move to a design that was similar to the new pro with no home button exc.
[doublepost=1542215656][/doublepost]
Is there something in the air? This is the 2nd thread created today on the same/similar topic. :eek::rolleyes:

My answer here is the same as there: no. Producing something in between the Mini and 9.7 iPad would be the worst of both worlds... too large to be pocketable, too small for what the 9.7 is used for.
So you think they would possibly update and keep similar sizes? Must have some big pockets....can't see a mini going in one now. :)

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
So you think they would possibly update and keep similar sizes? Must have some big pockets....can't see a mini going in one now. :)
I don't think the Mini is pocketable but there are many Mini enthusiasts who claim that it is and why they prefer it.

The Mini is in all likelihood going to be soft-discontinued. It was only produced to combat the increasing sales of 7" Android tablets. Apple won that battle. The Mini has served its purpose. I don't say that with any glee as I think that the Mini 4 was (and still is) a terrific tablet... and I still use it daily.

My wish was for a Mini 5 that would have an upgraded processor and support for the Apple Pencil / Logitech Crayon. I doubt that will happen now.

longhorn2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017

First, I scanned the forum and did not see a thread about this subject. If I did I would not have started this one.

Second, How would making the 9.7 externally smaller be a negative? Other than the smaller bezels it would be the same display size but closer to the Mini's external size. Such an Ipad would have an upgraded processor, though I would not count on the same pencil used with the Pros.

I am more concerned that if Apple goes this route, kiss the present 9.7 price point good bye.