What if the rMB price was...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Trhodezy, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Trhodezy macrumors regular

£840.

Would you then consider purchasing the new (entry spec) MacBook? (Of course this question is for those of you who are not currentlyplanning on purchasing the device on launch).

I only ask because I'm tired, curious and bored.

2. newellj macrumors 603

Wow. GBP 1049 for the base model gives a new meaning to the phrase "a pound of flesh." :eek:

3. Trhodezy thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, it does, however with that being said the cost of any MBA with 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM (not to mention the lack of retina display) and compre it to the rMacbook (GBP wise) it doesn't seem too higher price.

Of course you're still paying for form over functionality in some regards, which I dare say someone will comment on further below.

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Something does not compute. You have never been able to buy any Mac for under $999 US. Why now should this fabless ultraportable retina wonder be sub $1K? The price is fine for early adopters. I'm sure it will come down a bit but some of the prices people are throwing out are ridiculous.

5. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Huh? MBA 11" starts at $899 and Mac Mini starts at $499

6. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Uh, he was talking GBP, not USD. The price of the rMB is £874+VAT for £175.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

So the price is just £874 since VAT doesn't count. Yes it still has to be payed but it is a tax and not part of the price of the actual computer.

8. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

In any case, if you convert to US dollars £874 = $1301.91 which almost exactly the price of the new rMB.

In the US, some places you have to pay up to 9% in Sales Tax (or VAT). Clearly the VAT in the UK is much higher, but you guys have universal healthcare, so that's partially what you're paying for with the higher taxes. I'm not sure, but I know that in some places in Europe, the laws are such that certain items must have 2 year warranties standard. I'm not sure if that's the case in the UK. In the US, Apple only gives us a 1 year warranty.

9. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Laptops, but you are indeed correct they start at $899 US. My mistake. The general point is the same.

----------

I realize that. Another poster before me converted to $1049. So I guess I'm confused. If the what if price is the actual price then this thread is completely pointless.

10. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Honestly dude, you need to read better.. GBP 1049 is what the person wrote. That means Great Britain Pounds, not dollars. Nobody converted that figure to USD until I did.

I think the poster wanted his amount to include VAT, so his figure with VAT included would be significantly cheaper.

The confusion was that people said the original price GBP 1049 is high, but then people pointed out that that included VAT, so the price is comparable to the US. The OP wanted his figure to include VAT which is confusing to people in the US because tax is rarely included in the price (since sales (or VAT) tax is different depending where in the US the product is bought).

Did I clear this very confusing thread up?

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Agh!! Yes, thank you. So at a comparable price, what again was the point of the what if? No need to respond. The point I was trying to make is now irrelevant anyway.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Price in the UK

includes 20% VAT and you get 5 years reasonable warranty for any defects in the machine, ie any electronics failures.

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

And their universal means for everyone, not just subsidized by the rich, served to the poor (Obamacare). Sorry, figured this thread belonged in the politics group, haha