What if...there is no 4.7" model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I've seen a lot of people saying that the 5.5" iPhone 6/Air rumors may have been an "intentional leak" by Apple to throw people off, and that there may in fact only be one new iPhone released this Fall (the 4.7" version).

But what if the exact opposite were true? What if Apple is planning to only release the 5.5" model? After all, reports are claiming exclusive features like optical image stabilization and the long-awaited 128GB storage capacity for the 5.5" version, but not the 4.7" version. Would Apple really release 2 new iPhones and only give the larger, more expensive phone these exclusive features that a lot of people probably want? Especially considering that they will probably still be offering the iPhone 5S, what would be the point of offering a 4.7" model when most seem content with their current 4-inch iPhone screens?

With Samsung and other competitors bumping up their standard smartphone screen sizes to 5+ inches, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple wanted to one-up them and go with the 5.5" model as their flagship device, and perhaps only new model if there is indeed only one (while still offering the 5S and 5C).

2. megapopular macrumors 6502a

No. There is a smaller model. Apple wouldn't alienate all of the people that prefer a smaller screen and go straight to 5.5 and only 5.5.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree with this. Would be very surprising if apple only released a larger footprint phone.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The iPhone 6 will be 6"/
    iPhone 7 = 7"
    and so forth...until iPhone 10 10", and then start over with iPhone 11, the name is so weird that we prefer to call it iPhone NONE as you will not even see it it's there in the Air over the iCloud.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Hypothetically speaking as if they only released a 5.5" model.

I'd have to play with it for a while. The problem for me is I know I would love using it however I'm more concerned with the time I'm not using it (in pocket or on a clip).

Alternative would be me getting the iPhone 5S or whatever they will call it then.

I need a new phone regardless for LTE. Verizon 3G is unbearable.

6. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Apple has seen success with their two-sized iPad business model. It makes sense that they're bringing it to iPhone. Some variety is good, two much will leave a consumer pondering which to buy too long and can discourage them from buying. Two sizes offers variety without being overwhelming, and reinvites those who left iOS because of screen size. There's no way they would suddenly make a huge jump in screen size and abandon everyone who DOESN'T want a huge screen.

7. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

If there was no 4.7 the iPhone 5s will retain it's value - I will not upgrade from my 5s to the 6

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Other than the screen-size change, they just did that: iPhone 5s vs. 5c.

When iPad Mini 1 first hit, it was significantly (tech) limited compared to the new iPad that launched at the same time.

So yes, it's pretty easy to imagine different hardware advantages in one of them beyond just a difference in screen size.

More revenue & profit? Who are these "most"? If by "most" you mean current iPhone owners or yourself, "most" were apparently content with 3.5" too when that was the only screen size. Then, Apple rolled out 4" and "most" quickly shifted. Personally, I expect the same here, with the key difference being that now there will apparently be a choice of where to shift rather than Apple doing the usual and deciding that one size fits all.

If "most" is most iPhone users, then sales of the 6 will be poor. However, I doubt many of the "most" will continue to cling to the "perfection" of 4" when Apple has endorsed the new perfections of 4.7" and 5.5".

Based on a very subjective review of what many seem to be saying here, I would guess that the bulk of most will shift to the 4.7" and only a small segment will buy the 5.5". However, what I actually believe is that the 5.5" will probably outsell the 4.7". Those who mostly use an iPhone for phone will probably be drawn to the 4.7" or just cling to the 5s/c. Those who mostly use an iPhone as a smaller iPad/computer will probably be drawn to the 5.5". In my own case, if there are indeed going to be 2 new sizes, the ONLY one I would consider for myself would be the 5.5". For my own wants/needs, 4.7" doesn't even have a chance. We'll see soon enough.

9. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I agree with this but there could be a 5.5 inch model and then a 6c model which would be the 5s with plastic so it's 4 inch instead if 4.7. I can see that happening for supply chain reasons.