What if there is no GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know we are only about a day and 15 hours from finding out, but let's speculate about the iphone more!

IF the iphone ONLY has 3g and doesn't receive any other updates, specifically gps, how much do you think that will hurt the iphone?

You have to realize this question is excluding the ppl in this thread, the fanboys. We all will get one regardless. But for in the realm of things how much will it hurt? I mean gps is precoming pretty standard on smartphones in the US now... and video conferencing is pretty standard in europe... i mean the iphone is starting to lose it's 'cool factor' so unless it actually is able to keep up with the competitors I think we may be looking at kind of a flop here...

2. Chax macrumors newbie

Chax

If the new iPhone is only updated with 3G and that is it, well, not many new iPhones will be sold just because people with 1st gen iPhones won't see any real need to upgrade.

If I had a 1st gen, and this hypothetical ended up being true, I wouldn't upgrade either.

3. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

4. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Today I decided that I'm going to purchase the new iPhone. However, quite a few cars already come with built-in GPS systems, so a lack of GPS in the phone doesn't affect me.

Thus, still buying.

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

yea I agree no matter what I am getting an iphone. i decided that a month ago. although yea i probably wouldn't upgrade either.

BUT i think worldwide it would not fly. it would do decent in the US (especially considering a subsidy), but at BEST it would do as well as the first one. outside the US (AKA fanboy mania) nobody would buy it.

and considering the HUGE worldwide leap that apple is taken I am drawing the conclusion that the iphone MUST and WILL include both gps and video conferencing.

and I know i am one of the few who cares about this, but on my wishlist a better camera goes way above either of those features. I mean i will use those things rarely if ever. and if i do use them it'll be just because I can, not because i need to.

but a CAMERA? and I mean a real, actual, usable camera? that can come in handy all the time. the current camera flies as a camera to use in a crunch, but I want to be able to always be camera free.

That's what I love about the iphone so much, it's all-in-one... EMPTY POCKETS!! haha

6. vkramer macrumors regular

How did people survive before GPS came out.
    Just fine.

L2 remember streets where you live.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i personally feel that a dedicated gps system like garmin nuvi lines are ideal over a gps in iphone

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

this isn't a debate on if ppl will live without gps, it's if ppl will buy it when all blackberry's now have gps. granted they might not use it much, but it can definitely be a purchase point.

9. pipspot macrumors newbie

pipspot

But if there's GPS in the next iPhone, Apple's implementation would just be much more awesome than its competition, right?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol i like apple and all but they arent the best in everything they attempt

pippin and camera instantly jump to the front of my mind lol

im just saying that while gps in iphone would be cool, it would be a hard act to one up garmin or tom tom i think

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

IF 3G is the only update, it will hurt...
    It needs some improvements - competitors are creating similar gadgets and the "touch"(not multi-touch) screen is becoming popular in Verizon and Sprint phones.

The New factor of the original is something I'm not sure Apple will ever be able to recreate. The hype is almost there, but they must follow up with some great NEW stuffs...

12. Solesk macrumors member

the lack of gps wouldnt hurt sales too much i dont think.

but it does need more than just a 3g update. slimmer profile, larger hard drive, bluetooth, ect.

13. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Would not affect my decision to purchase at all. I have navigation in my car, so I don't really need another GPS.

As for others, I don't think it would affect things nearly as much as a subsidy and more storage.

14. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I don't even want GPS....

If it has it, you'll have to probably pay a premium charge for it....no-go on that for me; not worth it.

15. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

No GPS would be a big mistake. Too many low end phones offer GPS and turn-by-turn navigation. It would be a big hole in a very feature filled device.

Built in navigation in the car is nice until your DVD is out of date. It's also not very handy for use when you are on foot.

That being said, not having GPS would not hurt sales too much for new iPhone customers but probably will for a lot of current owners. As others already posted, current owners might not see enough reason to upgrade if 3G is the only difference.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

GPS isn't just about navigation.

It's about getting the correct search results for where you are. It's about knowing where your friends are and they you. Automatically marking photos and places of interest. Having the phone alert you to favorite things being nearby.

It's about your phone knowing when to change profiles. Or to let you know that you're getting close to picking up your kids and automatically texting them an alert to come out to the street.

There are many potential uses, a lot of which haven't even been dreamed up yet.

17. meagain macrumors 68030

I don't care about GPS. I don't see what the big deal is about it for the most part. Unless I travelled around daily for a job to unknown areas.

18. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I bought mine on day 1 last year. I guess that makes me a fanboy.

I'm not going to buy the new iPhone if 3G is the only selling point. At least not for a while, anyway. I might consider it later if I could get a refurb or if the price was lower.

But, if they include GPS, count me in. I think the possibilities with GPS on this device are limitless...especially with it open for 3rd party development.

19. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i think this has been discussed before, and this time i couldn't care less. :D

20. needthephone macrumors 6502a

If it has GPS I will get one as it will be so useful.

If it doesn't for me it will be a bit of a luxury, a very good gadget but for me not justifiable.

I mean everything's going up and I probably spend what I would pay for the iphone in extra petrol costs this year.

No GPS I would probably not buy.

More importantly my wife will let me get one if it has GPS as she can see the benefit. If not she says you have a perfectly good mobile (it costs us say 1-2$ a month as wer'e both on three), a good camera an ipod so why do you want an iphone??

21. Yue Fairchild macrumors newbie

GPS isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I'll feel a little let down if it doesn't have GPS or a way of making the internet triangulation software comparable. An AT&T store manager I talk to sometimes says they've heard when there's a new iPhone, it'll have AT&T Navigator installed, but I understand how little value hearsay has.

22. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

That neatly sums up why people really don't want GPS. If they would just stop and think about it...

There are times when you don't want people to know where you are.

Do you really want to be spammed mercilessly as you walk down the street?

If GPS is included, there better be an option to turn the blasted thing off!

23. needthephone macrumors 6502a

For me no GPS is a delbreaker.

I could get an N95 (although its quite nasty to look at people say its quite good)
    for %38 a month and nothing upfront.

http://www.three.com.au/threestore/mobiles/NOKIA-N95-8GB-CAP049.xhtml

I do think it will though and this is academic, apple would be stupid not to have GPS.

No GPS then I can't see it being that big a hit.

This is what the media are picking up on and its caught peoples imagination.

24. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Sorry for double post!!

I feel 99% sure it will have GPS (or at least one of the new iphones will)

25. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.