What if this isn't....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tailpike1153, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

While reading a thread about the possible iPhone 5 redesign, a thought came to mind. What if this isn't THE iPhone 5 but the new "3G" iPod Touch, an iPod with 3G connectivity?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I've been hoping for a 3g iPod Touch for years, but I think it would cannibalize iPhone sales.

3. Tailpike1153 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

My first thought is that it would all the things to love about the iPod plus 3G connectivity. The ultimate mp3 player. Then I just had an upthought. Outside of a JB and microphone/headphones, this thing is an iPhone. Strip out the design of the iPhone 4 and other features you have an iPod touch. So this thing turns from being THE iPhone 5 to the iPhone lite/mini. if it shares the same form factor as the iPod Touch, it could be aggressively priced at $150-200 USD. Making it a very affordable smartphone. You want to the "apple tax," buy the iPhone 5.

4. A2DY macrumors member

what would be the point in a phone sized device, that has 3G but can't call anyone?

Am i missing something?

5. Tailpike1153 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Haven't figured the pricing scheme to keep that from happening.:(

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There's no point in that. Once you have the 3G hardware in an iPod touch it's going to cost as much as an iPhone anyway, especially considering the iPhone w/ contract price. And now that the iPhone is available on 2 carriers in the US there's just no reason for it.

7. Tailpike1153 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Yeah. That's was the problem.

Besides voice reception and 3G data, what differentiates an iPod from and iPhone? Features. Subtract the iPhone 4's Retina Display & new form factor and you have last year's iPhone. A phone which would make which would make a pretty nice iPod or... great last gen phone phone.

Spending $500-700 USD isn't economical for 75% of the world. But at $150-200 USD and you have just made it an affordable option for many people. How many people want an iPohne but don't want to pay the price? Apple could keep Retina Dispaly and premium $$$ features for THE iPhone 5. this less expensive iPhone could be positioned to for the PAYG consumer or even positioned to be "free" contract phone. Issues of possible cannibilization would still need to be worked out.

8. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Google Voice or GTalk and there are many SMS Apps

if Apple were to add 3G to iPod touches iPhone sales would drop significantly :(

9. A2DY macrumors member

but the cost of a 3G iPod Touch would be near on the same as a iPhone would it not?

If in the US you could just buy a unlocked iPhone direct from Apple and the iPod 3G was around the same price would anyone buy it?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Data, no need for a monthly voice contract. This would be insanely popular and completely gut iPhone sales.

11. nukem170 macrumors member

LMAO. Just install a voip app and you got yourself a phone. Why even bother calling it an ipod by that point?