What if TimeCapsule Harddrive crashes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBX, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Imagine you bought a 1tb timecapsule and you store all your data on it. But what if he harddrive fails at some point and you lose all your stuff? Is there any kind of warranty or something?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Not sure, but is a good question. Then again, this type of thing exists for ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE you buy. Or for that matter any internal drive you buy.

Curious why Time Capsule is getting singled out?

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh absolutely, not trying to single out timecapsule.

I guess it's just because i never had 1tb hd and i'm considering it to store all of my data on one disk like timecapsule (which i can access wirelessly all the time and don't have to go through connecting cables annoyances) instead of spread onto few smaller drives.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Didn't mean to come across rude :D

I have the same fear as I'm sure most other people do. I had quite a few home movies that I'll never get back again due to HD failure, as well as photos.

Still, if we live in fear we'll never move on. Since the purpose of Time Capsule is to be a companion with Time Machine and the purpose of Time Machine is a "rolling/incremental" back up system, you technically have 2 copies of your stuff. This idea probably alleviates some subconcious fear.

Only other solution would be another brand router with USB support and another external HD solution that would be easier to manage. That though could cost more than one is willing to spend.

Remember "Server Grade" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: whatever that means.

5. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Remember the probabilty of any HD failing is relatively equal to the failure of any other HD. That being said...

If you computer is using Drive A and your back up is in a TC.. and the TC fails.. you still have the data on Drive A.... replace the TC and move on... If Drive A fails you have the data on your TC... replace Drive A and move on..

Now if both Drive A and the TC fail at the same time...... oops....

I had a situation where the HD in my PC failed.... I realized that that HD was exactly the same age as the HD in my wifes PC [both bought the same day]. So I decided to back her computer up to my Laptop..... Literally within minutes of the backup completing... HER HardDisk FAILED.....

SInce then I have switched to a MacPro [1 Tera interal, 1 Tera External], and my wife gets her new MBP in a few days [250 gig internal 1 Tera TC external]

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually i'm intending to use timecapsule as a normal wireless drive, not timemachine backup.

7. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Well, if you plan on using it as a data drive, its a good idea to back it up, as you always risk losing data without a backup.

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

How about this... if it does fail, is it accessible to replace or would you need to buy an entirely new time capsule?

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That to ME would be the optimum choice. Would replacing it void warranty, upgrading it to better "server grade" drive etc. I'm sure it would but as you said, how hard is it to get to. Probably pretty easy but won't know until we get one.

10. marklight macrumors 6502

If the HD fails will the wireless router still work?

11. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

With talking to tens of thousands of customers I have heard many misconceptions. One thing is a lot of people consider a "Back Up" as just being on something external. (ie Thumb drive, Hard Drive, Nas or CD/DVD). This is only a backup if it is the second place you have it. A Backup means you have the data in more than one place at a time. So if you had it on only an external you really didn't do any form of backup. If you have it on external and on your main HD than that would be backup. If you store your Data on your Time Capsule again you haven't done anything except make your data less accessible than before. You always want to have it in more than one place. There is always a chance for any HD no matter how good, bad, cheap expensive it is to fail, get stolen, caught in a fire, get corrupted ect... The chances of all your HDs going at once is slim and thats why you go for these backups. I used to think like this and then I lost 1000 photos. I now have data on my main HD of course, a hourly backup of each computer and a monthly incremental DVD backup which goes to my Moms house in case the worst.

If you aren't really "Backing Up" no one can be blamed or held to a warranty but you.

12. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

i agree OldSkoolNJ,

but it's just so time-consuming to copy all the data to other drives as well. Unless there's some way to copy something simultaneously and doesn't cost as much i'm a bit disheartened to do so.

The ideal situation would be to have 2x 1tb timecapsules and when you copy stuff over to the first it would automatically clone it to the second.

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

NO no no no, you don't need 2 routers.

Time Capsule + External HD (For backup) both can function as NAS if I'm not mistaken you can have multiple External HD's connected to Time Capsule/Airport Extreme Base Station and all be NAS. The thing is the back up software would have to reside on an actual computer.

Run something like SuperDuper! and tell it to back up one nas drive to another nas drive and your set in regards to back ups.

14. ljones macrumors regular

Yea I'm pretty sure 3rd party manufactures will design external hard drive to match timecapsule, much the way there are devices that match the mac mini.

15. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Y'all been missing the important point. The above is what we should all be asking ourselves.

16. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

He's right, use SuperDuper to clone one drive to the other or to make an independent bootable image of your drive that's dedicated to just SuperDuper. You should also store all your CRITICAL files, like family photos and such on DVD as well and keep them off-site in secure storage. Otherwise, you do risk losing your data should something happen or a natural disaster (God forbid).

17. martin1000 macrumors regular

If you want to be extra special careful, time machine + an online backup solution, like www.mozy.com. It's the best $5/month that I spend to know my data is safe.

18. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The unit will of course have a 1-year warranty. Your data, however, won't.

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

My guess is that since this is Apple, and it specifically says "Server Grade" that they will be using Enterprise drives that are rated to be powered on 24/7 and have a much longer life expectancy.

20. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

What exactly is the estimated life expectancy for a server grade hard drive?

21. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

They don't really specifically say *Because this is a server grade it will last XX amount more years*. It is more it is designed for a lot more wear and tear and can handle running 24/7. If you have lets say the average 2-3 CPUs per house backing up every hour / every day than that is a whole lot of work that little guy is doing.

As to attempt to answer the side question. Unless someone hear was an engineer who helped design the Time Capsule there is no way to know if the HD fails if the router will keep ticking. I would imagine it would be fine. (but I am no Engineer)

Backing up is never no work. If it was no work than everyone would do it and not just 5% of the nation who own computers. Time machine does make it pretty damn painless. If you are looking to make this easy than I would suggest this. Get yourself a bigger HD for your computer (as they are dirt cheap now) and keep your data on your computer which in the end is so much nicer anyway! Then have Time Capsule teamed up with Time Machine do your back ups. Now it is pretty well automated and virtually no work.

Kevin :apple:

22. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

should i keep a backup of my backup just in case?

23. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

To each his own but I learned my lesson. I keep a backup going here every hour (Time Machine) and then I do a monthly. Reason I do this is it goes offsite in case the worst should happen here. IE Robbed, Fire, Direct Lightening etc etc. Its the only part of my backup time that takes a little effort. I have Apples .Mac Backup do this for me. I have it set for incrememntal DVD backup once a month. SO once a month it pops up and wants to burn a set of DVDs with any new added data from the last month. Only thing that took me close ten hours was the initial backup on DVD. This time can be avoided by doing it from the get go with a new computer.

Kevin :apple:

24. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I actually asked a Mac rep about this and was dissapointed with the answer. My question had more to do with their RMA process though.

I specifically wanted to know if I could simply replace the drive myself, in the event of failure or expansion needs, instead of returning it. He said no, and said that it would void the warranty. He then went on to guarantee me that the TC would have a solid & cool, but slower hard drive installed to help ensure reliability (I believe that it's going to be one of those Western Digitial Green Power drives, which are indeed very good).

I don't know about you guys but there is no chance in hell I'm returning a drive full of my personal/crucial data just so it could be refurbished, and re-sold to someone else (which is how it is done with all HD manufacturers, barring the drive is beyond repair). Not to mention, I'd lose my wireless capabilities until it was returned.

I may get one just to backup the OS and other non essentials, and get a second drive for the crucial data.