What if Video chat is the missing piece in these new data plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris975d, Jun 5, 2010.

1. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I posted about this briefly in another thread, but the more I think about it, the more I think it has merit as to why there is a change in the iPhone data plans, and why Apple has been tight lipped about this so far.

People have mentioned the video conferencing several times (if it's even allowed over 3G and not wifi only), so one thing that I have wondered is what if Apple has asked AT&T to include unlimited video conferencing in the iPhone data plan, since it will be one of the stand-out features of the iPhone 4th gen? And as a compromise, AT&T told Apple that their network wouldn't be able to handle unlimited video chat PLUS unlimited data (non-video chat data), so they (AT&T) said that to allow unlimited video chat, they would HAVE to cap the other data usage at 2Gb, and grandfather the existing iPhone owners into their old plan so they don't revolt? This agreement would satisfy both Apple and AT&T, as Apple and Jobs still would get to tout their new video chat feature that I'm sure they are going to want to advertise heavily as being something that the competition really doesn't have at this point (except for the Evo), and AT&T doesn't have to worry with the possible situation of having all these iPhones with unlimited video chat (which would be data), PLUS unlimited other data (web browsing, app downloads, streaming, etc).

So in a nutshell, what I'm saying is what if we find out Monday that the 4th gen iPhone will have unlimited video chat on the new plans, but the data (non-video chat data) will be capped at the proposed caps? This may be why we haven't heard a peep out of Apple about this.

And if the above is true, then anyone upgrading to the 4th gen iPhone but grandfathering their old unlimited plan wouldn't get the video chat feature, since the feature code may be attached to the "new" iPhone plans. This might be how AT&T is going to try to "strongarm" all of us wanting to keep the old plan but get the new phone into going with one of the newer, capped plans.
    The video chat could be a "feature" that AT&T has to activate on your account (running the data through a different APN for example), and if you elect to keep your old unlimited data plan, you don't get to use this feature. I just feel that Apple is going to want all the iPhone 4th gens to have this feature enabled by default, but AT&T has said there's no way they can handle unlimited video chat and other data. And as much as AT&T is talking about the data hogs that are using up most of the bandwidth, these new plans don't really address the current hogs, as they will be able to upgrade to the new iPhone but keep their old unlimited plan, therefore they will still be able to use just as much data (so the problem AT&T has isn't really solved). So I feel like they have to have a trick up their sleeve to get the hogs into one of the new capped plans, and maybe making unlimited video chat an option on ONLY the new plans is how they intend to hopefully draw them in. If you don't have one of the new plans, you don't get video chat. But AT&T can't mention anything about video chat yet, because Apple wants to be the first to announce that feature in the keynote Monday.

Anyway, this is a bunch of rambling, but I feel it might be why we haven't heard everything regarding these plan changes yet. Feel free to discuss and tell me why this may or may not even be a valid scenario.

2. tagy macrumors regular

Well if you are paying for 2 GB of data, I don't think it should matter what data you use(wishful thinking?), I think video chat will use your 2GB allowance.

Maybe thats why they introduced these new plans now, because they know they could not handle unlimited data with people using video chat.

Although I am in the UK and hope that unlimited data plans are still around for the next iPhone :)

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Or video chat will be wifi only. Just saying.

4. tac22 macrumors 6502

maybe video chat will count as voice call instead of data:p... well... wishfull thinking atleast... i do think there is going to be something revealed about the plans or another plan option monday

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I think that if what you stated in the first paragraph is correct/ comes true that they will not require existing customers to get out of their grandfathered contract. Very good theory, though.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To certain extent video chatting is a different thing. You will not spend the whole month video chatting 24x7. So unlimited video chatting will make the users feel like they have something unlimited but in reality it is a service that you will not use full time, like other data services.
    Also, video chatting with who? only other new iPhone users? I certainly will have a nice use for that, but only a few of my calls will be a video call, more likely I will using the camera for skype video conferencing.

Anyway data is data, and if these folks at AT&T don't get their act together, the total capacity of their system will never be enough. With all the streams of money they had received with the iPhone boom they should be reinvesting it in the right things to keep the ball rolling and move closer to score another goal.

Definitely :apple: is up to something, better they are, I hope something good or better than what we currently have, but I am just a dreamer.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Thanks for pointing this out. But, there is where we're really gonna get screwed. For those of you who go nowhere near the 2GB cap (myself included), just wait until iChat comes. We're gonna blow that cap right up (and hence, get screwed).

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I bet the iChat app will work just like the Mac version, and Mac users will be able to call iPhone users and vice versa, on wifi or 3G.

No way would I pay an extra fee to use this on 3G. I will probably end up using Skype video chat anyway...unless iChat somehow supports the Skype protocol.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

U have a great point but att is gay so they might just screw us again. The thing is when will I even use vid chat not that much so idk. And if tethering was 10$ I would defiantly do it but for me I just feel 20$ is too much. If u have to pay extra or the data u use for vid chat goes towards ur 2gs then I will nit get it it use it anyway