What if we HAVEN'T received the tethering text/email from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, May 19, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

It's well past May 13th (the date after which everyone caught tethering will be transfered to an 'appropriate' plan without any notification from AT&T), so is it OK to tether now?

I haven't received any text message or email about tethering, so what does this mean in terms of continuing tethering?

Since I haven't received a warning like many others - is it legal for them to transfer me to a 4GB + Tethering plan without warning me first?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cell phone companies are shaddy and i think they always have a way to charge you more

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

They won't transfer you without warning you but they can still warn you (then transfer you) even though it's after May 13th, that was just an arbitrary deadline.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Dont think there was ever a deadline, some people are still getting them. Your info is wrong

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can still get caught. You will get a warning first and then if they catch you again they will switch your plan.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yeah i didnt want to comment because im not with AT&T but i find it hard to believe that they said after this date where not gonna check if your tethering without a plan

7. max pl, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

max pl macrumors regular

I just got the message today for the first time. The text is different from the one I've seen others receive; it doesnt mention anything about them charging me for tethering, just that tethering costs money.

I dont get it though, I dont use that many GBs of data. Its not my primary ISP and I use less than 5 GBs a month, possibly much less than that. edit: 4.7GB since my last reset which was 6+ months ago.

Have people found work arounds for this? How have the majority of users here responded to the situation?

I've got 4 months left on my contract, I'll be sure to let them know that if they decide to charge me extra for my data.

8. Mac99 macrumors newbie

I just got a text notice, but...

I haven't used tethering in at least 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Just got a text today from AT&T saying "did you know tethering requires an email plan...?" Last time I used tethering was with PDANet for a few hours when I found out about the AT&T notices. Prior to that it was all MyWi.

Have not received any email messages.

Known facts:
    1. No thethering activity for at least 1 1/2 weeks. Therefore:
    2. They've looked at historical tethering in the past few weeks to determine if you are tethering or not. That is, lack of recent tethering activity does prevent you form getting a notice.

Unknown at this point:
    3. Was it PDANet or MyWi (or both) that gave it away. I suspect MyWi since I only used PDANet for a few hours. Versus, I used MyWi exclusively prior to that.

Using iOS 4.2.1
    PDANet was turned on to Level 2. (But only used for a few hours. I highly doubt it was PDANet.)

I guess I'll go a month without tethering. Use PDANet for several weeks and see if I get another notice. If I do, I'll switch to VZW before their unlimited data plans go away this summer.

9. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Keep doing it, you're in no danger until they send you notification.