What if..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FDG, Jun 26, 2012.

1. FDG, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

FDG macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am new here, been a long time Apple user but I now am confused a bit.

I have am 13" early 2011 MBP with 128gb m4 crucial SSD, 8gb ram, iPad 2 and iPhone 4. So basically, I am sporting older generations. The iPhone will be upgraded as soon as the new one is released.

But now on to the real problem. I find my MBP to heavy to carry around all the time, so I think about buying the new MBA 13. But the 4gb ram might not be enough? What would be the performance decrease or increase be? I have the 2.3 I5, performance should be about the same?

An other option is to buy an iMac and the new iPad with keyboard and use it for on the road and stuff. I can sell my MBP and iPad for good money so upgrading is no problem at all. The question is, where should the money go.

1. MBA 13" with maybe more RAM wait

2. iMac + new iPad + keyboard

Daily tasks:
    - Web browsing
    - Large document editing (20 - 30mb) I could edit the final document on a iMac and cover the base with iPad I guess
    - Email

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Difference is about 2LBs between the MBP & MBA. Take either the iPad or MBP not both will save weight.

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I am on an old iMac / iPad 1 combo. Suits me fine (although would like newer versions), never used the laptop I had so sold it.

Use the iPad 2 you already have to test what you need for on the road. If it can meet all those needs then iMac / iPad will serve you well. If not, then you know you need a laptop.

4. FDG thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be a great option, only con is that I need to buy the keyboard and if I like the combo and buy the iMac then I have two keyboards.