What Imac is lacking for a music workstation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frapac, May 16, 2012.

1. frapac macrumors newbie

Hello, I am building a home studio (music composition, arranging, recording, etc.) and I am wondering about the use of a forthcoming Imac instead of a MacPro.
    All studios seem to use a MacPro, but I don't understand the reasons for such a choice.
    Current processors can run ProTools with as many tracks as needed, so what are the pros and cons of Imac versus MacPro, the possible bottlenecks of Imacs, etc. ?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions !

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

The main reason is expendability you will need ports and pci slots for your cards.As a video editor when i bought my iMac i was on a hurry and a tight budget and now i regret it i was inpatient.If you are or going to be a professional buy the Mac Pro computer for a lifetime.

3. frapac thread starter macrumors newbie

Which extensions ?

Thanks for you answer.
    But I will use an external (USB/Firewire) audio interface, such as a RME. So which extension could be useful ? The price difference is high, and also the m3 !

Are there also differences regarding, say, the cache, and performance of audio applications ?

4. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

In the future you may need extra audio interfaces internal or external.

Performance is better on Mac Pro for a variety of reasons.You can have as many disks as you want put them in raid 0 pairs for every process of your workflow (rendering,media,cache,projects,exports,plugins).OWC already has PCI SSD RAID 0 cards.Mac Pro can work 24/7 for weeks with light temperature rising iMac i7 after 5 minutes rendering in a 64bit application cpu operating temperature rising at 85 C.

Also you may put two or three monitors to make your editing more efficient.
    In future you may want to and add video in your production workflow and you will need to buy a bluray writer what would you do then put off your firewire sound card to patch blue ray?

If you are or you will go professionally and you have the money go Mac Pro and you won't regret it.If you are an hobbiest amateur go iMac.

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Once the iMac came standard with an extra internal SATA connection (for ssd) I sold my Mac Pro and bought a 27" i5. I put a Western Digital Black drive in and an Intel SSD.

I use an M-Audio ProFire 2626 and Bheringer ADA800 to record up to 16 simultaneous tracks. I primarily record metal music, so every track in the session is raw streaming audio. I have never had any bottleneck slow me down with my setup.