What improvements/changes do you anticipate in the 2015 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tymbo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Tymbo macrumors regular

I own a top-of-the-line early 2009 iMac and it's still going strong, but I can sense its slowing moments. I told myself I'd buy a new one every five years.
    Obviously this is the sixth year, but that's only because I wanted to hold off for the iMac that brings major changes, unlike 2014's update featured.

Do you think 2015 is the year for the greatest overhaul? If so, what changes can you sense are coming?

2. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

I had the same idea like you but I was coming from a top-of-the-line 2007 iMac (the first aluminium iMac) with upgraded 512 GB SSD (which helped a lot keep it up-to-date) and decided to go for the RiMac one month ago. The difference between the two iMacs that developed in the the last 8 years (especially the gorgeous display) justifies that step more than enough.

If the 2015 or early 2016 iMac brings the expected improvements like a better GPU (I took the M290 which is very quiet, the i7, the SSD only version and upgraded to 32 GB RAM) and the Skylake chipset with Display Port 1.3, Thunderbolt 3, USB-C and so on it might be the right time to switch from your 2009 iMac. I have to wait for some years now for the next upgrade but the RiMac seems to fill this gap very good...

3. clovehitch macrumors member

clovehitch

4. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Hopefully there is 21.5" Retina. Other than that, I guess Apple will probably drop traditional hard drives, and put SSD's in iMacs.

5. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

Im hoping for SSD drives instead of hard drives, better graphics card and the inclusion of usb type -C. That will make the iMac pretty future proof for a good 5 years i think. I also expect the retina prices to drop a little or have the retina go purely SSD. Either way i am waiting to see the new imacs come out, i wouldnt be surprised to see see a change in the appearance since its been a while.