Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msallin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Three features that are very important to me are:
  • Create Genius Playlist from this song
  • Rewind this podcast 30 sec.
  • Some good way to scroll through many many artists

Does anyone know of any car stereos whose iPod intergration is satisfying and provides some or all of these features? Which brand (Alpine/Kenwood/Sony...) gets it right?

Ideally, I'd like to get one of those in-dash GPS units that also provides iPod integration, any advice on that either?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
are you hoping to control the ipod on the car stereo or are you willing to control some things directly on the ipod?

I am partial to kenwood and pioneer. Pioneer is able to transmit the audio over USB, digitally, which is a nice feature.

msallin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Hi sbddude, I want to control the iPod on the stereo itself. That said, I'm doubtful that any system will allow me to use the "Genius Playlist" feature, so I'd be ok with switching to iPod control if it were easy, like a simple toggle button.

Do you know if Kenwood or Pioneer have a nice iPod control interface? The other things I care about are good GPS navigation functionality and removable faceplates (I park in the city).

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
most car interfaces lock out the pod controls on the ipod itself. You can get around this by using a jailbreak app called NoAccessorySplash iOS4.

On my friend's unit, i was able to control and play audio from the ipod app as well as other apps like pandora. I use navigon for navigation and that works well. It charges it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.