What information should be on your business site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Mar 9, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

In between design jobs, I have gradually been trying to do a major overhaul on my own site.

I always find there is a fine line between too much content, and too little. Most design companies sites have way too much information I find. But that is how I personally view them. I don't know what is considered proper.

How detailed do you guys usually get with your 'about us' (or similar) section? I see some sites even go into detail about what equipment they are running. What type of information do you guys consider priority for that type of page?

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It might help if we knew a little bit more about your business and your website, but I would include the following:

2-3 sentences "cheerfully" describing what goods/services you provide
    a contact phone number
    a physical address, if you do face-to-face business with customers
    an email address

Much more than that and a reader's head might start spinning. I know that I really only skim over pages like this just to get to the nuts and bolts of what I'm looking for.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Contact number... be sure to also list your business hours and the time zone you're in. If you list a physical address and do face-to-face type business, sometimes a link to Google Maps or mapquest is nice.

4. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

It depends on your market, and the types of clients you are trying to pull in. Generally, the larger the client, the more they will want to learn about you.

At the core, however, you should ask yourself WHY you have a website and how you can most appropriately utilize the medium. Secondly, you need to ask HOW you will drive traffic to the site. There are thousands of beautifully designed portfolio websites online, many (most!) of them get little traffic.

As for content, one strength of a website is that -- if the content is well organized -- a viewer can choose exactly how much information they want to see.

I have no care what type of equipment you are running, unless it directly affects your creative output and/or is the type of investment that your clients would hire you because it is not cost effective for them to buy themselves. For example, if you have a RED HD camera for shooting live action for motion graphics.

Similarly, I don't really care what software you use, but may be interested in the platforms upon which you work: comfortable converting your designs into XSLT? build custom content management systems with codeIgniter? Can you couple a web initiative with a custom designed iPhone app?

Of course, some of the above blends with "goods and services". Many studios specialize one one or two types of work, so clearly define the types of work you do (brand identity, collateral, interface design, information architecture, motion design -- the list goes on and on. Of course, make sure that you have work in your portfolio/case studies that back up your claims. I see a lot of people claiming that they know motion design because they have used after effects, but know nothing of broadcast standards, etc. etc.

If you are strong in one area (like branding) don't be afraid to specialize and create a site with focus.

I like to see a comprehensive client list as well. I am not huge on design awards, but I know that corporations seem impressed by them.

Again, larger corporations are looking for a company to help them plan design strategy just as much as create design "form", this is where a section on design process and design philosophy comes in. Sadly, on most sites this is really cookie cutter. Companies like IDEO however are great at selling their process, and get thier clients because of it.

My apologies for the brain-dump above! Hope it is helpful...

5. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

SOrry guys, it's a web design/graphic design business I do part time. I didn't specify it because it's in the Web Design & Development section of the forum. I shouldn't have made assumptions. So basically, take my first post and apply it to a web design/graphic design business site. In this case, how detailed do you think you need to be?

I have sections for "services", "portfolio", and "contact" which have a lot of the information you guys suggest. I THINK my content is pretty strong for these pages. But I am mainly curious what is relevant information for an "about..." (me in this case since I am the only employee) section. Again, in your opinions, what do you think are the key points for this section?

From the posts so far, it seems being brief is the best way to go. Which I have kind of done. But I just don't know what key information should be included, and what is overkill. The page contains a paragraph on my general design philosophy, and a paragraph that mentions my experience so far. And a 'contact me' paragraph at the bottom.

Thanks guys.

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You might consider relocating your experience on a separate page, maybe tie it in with references or examples of your work. It'll keep your contact information relatively clutter-free (and I don't mean "clutter" in a bad way!).

8. designgenies macrumors newbie

I think there should be 4 to 5 lines containing a short description about your organization and the services you provide.
    For contacts there should be a different column.

9. pelsar macrumors regular

look at our site...just did an overhaul....

http://www.spinnerdesign.co.il/

the concept was to keep the all of the graphics on one page so that it was not just easy to find, but that the user will also see additional types of work that might interest them....hence the portfolio page.

websites do not link to their outside site on the portfolio page, since those get changed without our knowing and require constant checking

the services/about us are mainly text with links to help us with google.

Updating is relatively simple in that the portfolio page which is flash as all the graphics outside linked to xml files.

You will notice that we avoided any flashy stuff, its a business site, meant to give the client quickly the type of work that we do....